Thaiway

Pattaya International Bed Race

Rate this topic

Beer Chang

Press Conference - 7 Jan 2010

BED RACE AND FAMILY FAIR

Last year’s Bed Race received so much press attention and became an instant success event in the history of Pattaya receiving international press coverage on TV, Internet and print around the world.

We are pleased to announce that the second “Pattaya International Bed Race†will take place on Sunday 31st January 2010. This will be bigger with more than 20,000 people attending with an expected 100 bed racing teams taking part. A whole day’s event is planned with lots of entertainment including a bed parade. There will be a Family Fair starting at 12.00 noon with games and lots of fun and after the actual bed race there will be a big Rotary New Year Party. The location is Pattaya Second Road in front of The Avenue Pattaya shopping mall. The route of the race will start and end at The Avenue. Teams will turn left into Soi 12, then left into Pattaya Beach Road, then turning left into South Pattaya Road, and back into Second Road to the finishing line in front of The Avenue Pattaya.

Organized by the Rotary Club of Pattaya in partnership with Pattaya City Hall, the Bed Race will provide a great social activity for everyone in the Pattaya community to participate and enjoy! Hopefully, it will bring all the clubs, community groups and businesses together and attract sponsors for this unique, not to be missed, event in Thailand. The main sponsors this year are: The Avenue Pattaya, Global i-care (Pattaya GIC Card), BarterCard, CTLS Language School, Mercure Hotel and Pattaya People Media Group.

The idea of a Bed Race is a very popular fundraising and family activity in many countries around the world including the UK, USA, Australia and New Zealand. It is a tried and tested successful way of raising money for local charities and community projects. It involves teams of up to 6 members dressed as outrageous and funny as possible, pushing their spectacularly decorated beds from a designated starting point to the finishing line. The object is to not only get to the line in the shortest time but also to keep the designated passenger to remain on the bed at all times.

This second Bed Push Race in Pattaya will be a major undertaking by the Rotary Club of Pattaya and will undoubtedly help promote Pattaya as a fun, family resort. It will provide good wholesome family entertainment in a safe environment, whilst bringing together the multi faceted groups working for a better community, and will become an annual event on the Pattaya Calendar.

http://www.pattayabedrace.com/index.php

They do this bed-race thing in my dinky home town every summer as part of an annual festival. These racing beds (read: poorly put-together contraptions) are in many instances downright friggin' dangerous. They usually put some kind of crappy wheels on a metal bedspring, some guy/lady sits (holds on for dear life) on the bed, and then four to six guys push the thing down the street as fast as they can. I've seen both participants and spectators significantly injured (as in broken bones and deep gashes) over the years during these crazy exhibitions. Just a train wreck (although nobody's likely going to die) waiting to happen. I don't know who came up with the idea originally but somebody ought to slap him/her silly.

Almost as smart as having a lawn dart contest at a drinking fest.

I don't know who came up with the idea originally but somebody ought to slap him/her silly.

Maybe someone from you dinky hometown is a Rotary member? Hope no one is hurt. The Rotory Club does good work and I hope they are able to raise some much needed funds.

Maybe someone from you dinky hometown is a Rotary member? Hope no one is hurt. The Rotory Club does good work and I hope they are able to raise some much needed funds.

I have no bone to pick with Rotary - a great outfit that does a ton of good; nevertheless, the bed-race concept is just like I described it.

• 2 weeks later...