Thaiway

1 Year Thai Visas

Rate this topic

Thailand's Immigration system has grown increasingly confusing as rules change, visa fees are waived, and some visa categories are placed under more intense scrutiny by Consular officials.

Recently, Consulates that were known as "visa run" destinations began restricting the issuance of multiple tourist visas. Places such as Penang, Malaysia and Vientiane

, Laos are seeing a decline in "visa runners" as these new Consular policies drive them elsewhere. Many long term tourists as well as expatriates began toying with the notion of remaining in Thailand on non-immigrant or immigrant visas.

This brings up the issue of long term non-immigrant Thai visas. Non-Immigrant Thai visas can be issued for different durations. For this reason, a properly prepared Thai visa application

is essential to acquiring the type of visa one desires. A collateral issue is that of work authorization. In Thailand, much like the United States of America, the right to work and the right to remain in the country are two different types of entitlements. Therefore, one must submit separate applications to separate government agencies in order to obtain a Thai work permit and a Thai visa extension.

Thai Immigrant visas, also known as Thai permanent resident visas, allow the bearer to remain in the Kingdom in perpetuity. However, these types of visas are very difficult to obtain and require one to spend a great deal of time as a non-immigrant resident in the Kingdom of Thailand. For some wishing to remain in the Kingdom for a long period of time, the retirement visa can be an effective method of immigrating. Applicants must be at least 5o years old to apply for this visa category. With that in mind, it is very beneficial for those with bona fide retirement intentions. Those in Thailand on this type of visa are not entitled to apply for a work permit.

Those thinking of staying in Thailand for a long period should seriously weigh all options and do as much research as possible before making the decision to move. This is particularly the case for people who think that they will be allowed to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for an indefinite period in tourist visa or visa exemption status. An even worse notion is the idea that one can simply remain in Thailand on overstay (in the Kingdom without proper Immigration documentation).

Some people in the past would remain in the Kingdom for years without making certain that their immigration status was kept up to date. People of the opinion that this is an acceptable way of remaining in the Kingdom of Thailand should note that Royal Thai Immigration takes a dim view of visa violators and will detain them if caught. Also, a person without legal status cannot obtain a work permit or other necessities of residence.

Ben Hart

Benjamin Hart is a Memebr of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. He currently acts as Managing Director for Integrity Legal (Thailand) Co. Ltd. to learn more contact 1-877-231-7533 or info@integrity-legal.com. See further articles at Thailand Business Visa or Thailand Visas.

http://www.articlesbase.com/travel-articles/1-year-thai-visas-1456551.html

In my passport it is stamped RETIREMENT.

I've heard some get that stamp but I've never seen it. My doesn't say anything - just says (after date, name of immigration officer, and immigration office location)in capital letters: Application of stay is permitted up to 27 May 2010 (then goes on to say applicant must leave the kingdom, etc.). No reference to any kind of visa that I can see.

• 1 month later...

No mention of retirement on mine either. Just O-A. Does anyone know whether I can apply for a Work Permit from within Thailand or is it true I have to fly to Singapore and apply for a Type B Visa first. I had retired but have been offered a job and they are happy to apply for a Work Permit for me but have said I need to leave the Country first and get a different type of Visa. Is this correct? Anyone who has experienced a similar problem your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Does anyone know whether I can apply for a Work Permit from within Thailand or is it true I have to fly to Singapore and apply for a Type B Visa first. I had retired but have been offered a job and they are happy to apply for a Work Permit for me but have said I need to leave the Country first and get a different type of Visa. Is this correct? Anyone who has experienced a similar problem your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

You have asked this same question on several threads. It is a question none of us can answer because much of whether you will be approved depends on the type of job and who is offering it. A Type-B visa is a business visa. In most cases that visa is only necessary if you are coming to Thailand to establish a business or as a representative of a company that has already established business ties with Thailand. I have never heard of a Type-B visa being required in order to obtain a work permit.

Also, usually it is the employer who needs to start the process of getting a work permit for you. You don't just walk into an immigration office and announce that you have been offered a job. The employer takes the first steps and often can take care of the whole process for you. Your potential employer needs to be the first one to discuss this with immigration, although you certainly can go with him. If immigration is going to approve you, most likely they will take care of the visa formalities without you having to leave the country. However, if the immigration office you go to rejects you, as I said in another thread, try going to another immigration office. Often you will get a different answer.