Thaiway

Chinese New Year on February 14

Rate this topic

Wino

As far as I'm concerned, I like the idea of having three New Years (western one, Chinese New Years, and the Thai New Year of Songkran) here. For Chinese New Years, the decorations at some places are rather nice and, yea, I like to see the various dragons and fireworks.

Of course, the Thais don't need much to have cause to party. If they paint the curbs tonight, that'll be enough.... :lol:

Maybe you like Songkran because you're in CM instead of Pattaya, Bob?

It's pretty crazy up here too....but only for 3 days. Last year (as this year too), I spent Songkran in Hua Hin and it's only 1 day there. Hey, you like it or you don't. I actually like it (of course, I dress appropriately for it with the wallet in a baggie, etc.), and I find it great fun to take photos of the Thais going a bit bonkers. "A bit" is probably a gross understatement....

Yea, I know, guys. Some friends of mine love it and some of them hate it. Of course, it's my view that most of the ones that really hate it usually don't like doing many fun things anyway (Whoa! That'll spark some old codgers! haha)

I've got a good friend from my dinky town back home that travels often to Asia and the rest of the world - and he simply cannot stand to be around crowds or lots of people. He's probably been to Thailand 30-40 times in his life and has yet to experience Songkran, Loy Krathong, or any other interesting event here as he plans all his trips around any holiday-type event. Of course, I call him an "old poop" too....

This old codger does like to do fun things, Way back when, Songkran in Pattaya was one day of madness and I joined in and had a good time. The first year I lived here it was up to the present 6 days, which is far too long a period of time to not be able to get out without getting soaked and slapped with colored paste. The last straw for me was when I had to go to the supermarket and got soaked on the way there. The A/C in the supermarket had me shivering and I had to leave with completing my shopping. I decided then to not spend another Songkran in Thailand and haven't. I've gone to Vietnam twice and KL and other parts of Malaysia once and that's where I am going again this year.

Actually, to be fair, I can understand that more than 2-3 days of that would get a bit bothersome. Thankfully, I've never had to put up with it that long. When in Chiangmai, I'm usually outside most of the first day having fun and photographing. On the second day, I go out some and usually photograph (and, as long as I stand back a bit, I actually don't usually get very wet). The third day, I might go out a little but oftentimes not that much. So, yea, it's thrill begins to wane.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand in honnor of Chinese New Year, there will be an Chinese acrobatic show in the afternoon of February 14 at Central Festival shopping center and at Bali Hai Pier on the 15th and 16th.