Thaiway

All UCan Eat Breakfasts

Rate this topic

Beer Chang

There is a good one in Jomtien. I can't recall the precise name of the hotel, Danemark Hotel, or something like that, but you can't miss it. Between Soi 7 and Soi 8 on Jomtien Beach road there is an unmarked soi. The yellow hotel sign is easily spotted on Jomtien Beach road. It is an open air restaurant all the way up the soi, on the right. If you get as far as the parking lot, you just passed it.

They have unlimited everything! Several different kinds of breads, Thai dishes, potatoes, bacon, Danish meatballs, several different kinds of cereals, an egg cook who will make all kinds of different omelets or eggs any style. They even let you cook your eggs yourself if you prefer. In their refrigerated case there are several different kinds of sliced ham, salami, cheese, a pickled fish that is quite similar to pickled herring, pate, and a couple different kinds of yogurt. You can choose whatever you want and eat it as is or you can have the omelet cook incorporate your choices into your omelet. They also have unlimited juice choices, coffee, and tea.

I don't know what time they open, but the breakfast goes on until about noon. They are open every day. The price is 160 baht. I think it is well worth a try.

Yes! That's it. I couldn't remember the name. Have you tried the breakfast I'm talking about?

Not yet, I'll check it out the next time I go to Immigration in the AM. I'm a late riser.

Bar 54 at the beginning of Soi Whitehouse has happy hour until 9PM with 40 baht Singhas, Tigers, and Changs. It's much breezier than the other bars on the soi.

Yup, hard to resist going back for seconds even if we're not really hungry anymore.

Some people go back for seconds because they want to make sure they get their money's worth of food. For me, I like food and want to try everything on offer.

I must be weird/unusual (hmmm....you don't all have to jump in and agree on that at once!). Restaurants in the US for the last decade or more seem to be having a contest to see how much food they can give you. When I go (rarely) to a buffet, I actually go and get less food than an average restaurant would have served me. Strange, maybe, but true.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been to hundreds (thousands?) of hotel buffet breakfasts over the years, it all seems rather hit or miss most of the time. Usually, but not always, it seems the food is better earlier rather than later. Probably depends on a whole lot of things - who's on duty cooking at that time, how long it's been since they cooked the stuff, how sloppy some customers are mixing this with that, etc. But, you know, it really can't be easy to run a buffet line. First you gotta cook the stuff right and make sure it looks presentable. Then you've got to try to keep it hot/warm while not drying it out or overcooking the stuff. It is probably a somewhat impossible task.

Time of day is probably very important. I was there at the morning rush. The place was crowded, although still plenty of seating. The food fresh, although I didn't like the coffee. The staff was very attentive in keeping the buffet trays full. Perhaps the place might be worth a revisit, if you are in the neighborhood at breakfast time.