Thaiway

Extending a 30 day visa on arrival?

Rate this topic

I have a friend that does not bother to apply for a tourist visa in his home country. He enjoys travel to other countries. He usually plans his trips where he only stays in Thailand 30 days, therefore he obtains a 30 day arrival visa at the airport. This year, due to medical problems, he needs an extra 15 days. Is it possible to go to the immigration office in Jomtien and extend his stay by 15 days? He could do a land visa run but would rather not. If he must do a visa run, what is the closest border town to Pattaya? I think there is a border town in Cambodia, maybe close to Trat?

I've been told that it is possible to get an extension of that length. It's totally up to the discretion of the immigration officer but it seems like your friend has a very good reason. He ought to try it....it'll save him the necessity of making the long trip to Cambodia (yea, that's the closest place from Pattaya).

The chances of getting a 15-day extension are quite remote. The maximum number of days normally granted for this sort of extension is 10. It is possible that he can get 15 days, but unlikely. He needs to be prepared to do a visa run. If he can't be bothered to get a tourist visa before coming to Thailand, then he'll very likely have much more of a bother, qalong with much more expense, once he gets here.

He could get the 7-10 day extension but thinks he'll just pay the 500 baht fine at airport.

That's not a good idea. He will pay the fine, yes, but he will also have, in big bold letters, the word "overstay" stamped in his passport. Also, if his passport is checked by the police, then even a one day overstay can easily result in arrest, a stay in the hell that Thai prisons are, followed by deportation - at his own expense. For the 1900 baht it would cost him to keep everything legal, the risk, though minimal, is a serious risk. If Murphy's Law comes into the picture, he'll find out the hard way just how serious a risk it was. Thailand does not play games with immigration violators. For his own sake, I hope you will try to convince him to get the extension and keep himself legal.

Wino: If your friend attempts to get the extra 15 days at immigration (which I'd suggest he does solely to avoid the cost and hassle of the trip to Cambodia - and, if it doesn't work, he can still head to Cambodia), let us know the results, ok? I'm just curious as to whether it's truly possible.

I will let you know how the visa situation turns out for my friend. He is prepared to due the visa run. In fact, he was going to hire a car in order to make the trip. Due to his medical problem, he thought a car might be more comfortable than the visa run bus or van. I have done the visa run to Cambodia once, but have no idea the name of the town or directions. As far as the visa extension, many expats are telling me the 14 day extension is no problem. I hope the rules have not changed recently. I think if he brings a statement from his doctor and a copy of his return airline flight, perhaps he might find a kind immigration officer willing to grant him a 14 day extension. He then would have a one day overstay which is really no big deal. I hope it works out for him.

I guess there's a difference of opinion on how big a deal is a one day overstay. While I doubt that anyone would actually go to jail for overstaying one day with a plane ticket out in his possesion, I wouldn't want an overstay stamped on my passport. Who knows in the future it could have an impact on let's say, getting what we commonly call the retirement visa.

In my experience with a one day overstay, there has been no problems, so far. Also no overstay stamped in my passport.

That is correct if, and only if, you are dealing with immigration authorities. If the 'regular' police check for any reason, there's a certain creek you can find yourself up not only without a paddle, but without even the boat. If you want to risk it, but something goes wrong, you can't say I didn't warn you.

It is much wiser to stay legal, if possible. Who wants to end up in an immigration jail. Better to play it safe. In my situation, the choices were limited. I gambled and it turned out alright.

The last I talked to my friend, he did have another friend go to immigration and inquire about extending his 30-day visa. Since he hired a car to go to Cambodia, I think the answer was "no way."