Thaiway

Russian tourist cut in half by speedboat's propellers

Rate this topic

Beer Chang

Chon Buri - A Russian tourist was cut in half by propellers of a speedboat off Pattaya coast Monday afternoon, police said.

Police said two tourists were hit by propellers of a two-engine speedboat, Kantalak 409, near Koh Larn off Pattaya's coast in Bang Lamung district at 2 pm while the two were scuba diving at the spot.

One of them was cut in half and another went missing.

The two tourists have yet to be identified.

As usual, the Thai press does a lousy job of reporting the relevant facts (although it does the usual pathetic job of printing gross/inappropriate photos). It also seems every newspaper wants to be the National Enquirer (reporting that the diver died from serious injuries caused by the boat's propeller is probably okay but I don't see why a reader wants/needs to know the guy was almost cut in half....).

Unknown if the divers were floating the usual bouys/flags that let others know they are diving in the area (if not, can't blame the speedboat that did the dirty deed; if so, then it's just another example of unqualified idiots driving boats).

I understand the natural inclination to look at a burning building or a bad accident; however, occasionally I feel a bit embarrassed by having done so.

My guess is that a newspaper would substantially increase it's readership by showing graphic photos of accident victims; however, that wouldn't make it right.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time watching or viewing pictures of these kinds of things. Maybe I am just too squeamish.

Occasionally I am too.....and I take that as a positive sign. I'd recommend you not look at many of the Haiti photos floating around as some of them are really hard to take.

I sometimes hate to see these bloopers on TV. Kids falling off swingsets, skaters, and bikers making crash landings while trying to do tricks. No blood and guts shown, but I can imagine the hurt.

I sometimes hate to see these bloopers on TV. Kids falling off swingsets, skaters, and bikers making crash landings while trying to do tricks. No blood and guts shown, but I can imagine the hurt.

I don't mind the shows that tell you ahead of time that nobody was seriously hurt in the particular videos they are going to show you. If they were seriously hurt or killed, it's nice to know that somebody would have the taste not to show them for somebody else's entertainment value.

The blooper shows I have seen do not show any blood or guts. Some of the crashes look serious enough to cause a fatality, but who knows. I hate seeing the skater kids doing tricks on handrails and end up riding the rail like a horse. I am sure they end up singing in a higher voice.