Thaiway

Carbonara

Rate this topic

Thaimo

Lvdkeyes, do you have a Carbonara recipe? Everything I find on the internet looks very good, but also looks like its loaded with so much cholesterol that I would need heart surgery right after eating it. Also, when using olive oil for cooking, some people tell me to use plain olive oil and other people tell me to use extra virgin. What is your opinion?

Regarding olive oil, I have heard the same as you, but I use extra virgin all the time. The only downside I see is it is more expensive.

The carbonara recipe I use is:

Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients

Serves 4 to 6

• 1/2 cup diced pancetta or bacon

• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• Coarse salt

• 1 pound spaghetti

• 6 large egg yolks

• 1/4 pound Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated

Directions

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.

In a large skillet over medium heat, slowly cook pancetta or bacon until the fat has been rendered and the pancetta or bacon is crisp. Add pepper and remove from heat.

Generously salt boiling water (it should be as salty as sea water) and return to a boil; add pasta. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 4 tablespoons of pasta water.

Add reserved pasta water to skillet. Place skillet over low heat, add egg yolks, and gently swirl pan to combine. Add pasta, pancetta or bacon and cheese; toss to coat. Serve immediately on warmed plates.

May add ¼ cup heavy cream with the egg yolks for added richness.

Unless you already have high cholesterol, don't worry.

Regarding olive oil, I have heard the same as you, but I use extra virgin all the time. The only downside I see is it is more expensive.

The carbonara recipe I use is:

Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients

Serves 4 to 6

• 1/2 cup diced pancetta or bacon

• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• Coarse salt

• 1 pound spaghetti

• 6 large egg yolks

• 1/4 pound Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated

Directions

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat.

In a large skillet over medium heat, slowly cook pancetta or bacon until the fat has been rendered and the pancetta or bacon is crisp. Add pepper and remove from heat.

Generously salt boiling water (it should be as salty as sea water) and return to a boil; add pasta. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 4 tablespoons of pasta water.

Add reserved pasta water to skillet. Place skillet over low heat, add egg yolks, and gently swirl pan to combine. Add pasta, pancetta or bacon and cheese; toss to coat. Serve immediately on warmed plates.

May add ¼ cup heavy cream with the egg yolks for added richness.

Unless you already have high cholesterol, don't worry.

An excellent recipe, I have been using it for close to twenty years. The only addition being two Table spoons of finely chopped yellow onion added into the bacon.Also one table spoon finely chopped parsley into the toss.