Thaiway

Thailand visa fee waiver to continue

Rate this topic

In an effort to help revive the country travel tourism industry the Royal Thai Government has agreed to extend the exemption of the Thailand visa fee for tourist visa applications until 4 March 2010.

The exemption will apply to all visitors who apply for a Thailand visa on arrival at international airports in Thailand, as well as those applying for a Thailand visa offshore for stays longer than the length of time for which they are normally eligible.

Thailand currently gives a visa on arrival for the citizens of 20 countries who are not intending to stay more than 15 days.

Citizens of another 42 countries are allowed a visa-free visit to Thailand if their stay is not over 30 days.

Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply for a Thailand visa before their arrival in the country.

Thailand tourism industry chairman, Mr. Weerasak Kowsurat said, “As a result of the global economic downturn, the worldwide travel and tourism sector has declined as people have become more cautious about spending on leisure and business travel.

"Hence, the government has implemented many measures to enhance Thailand’s competitive advantage and strengthen our country’s unique qualities.”

http://www.visabureau.com/worldwide/news/10-07-2009/thailand-visa-fee-waiver-to-continue.aspx

• 1 month later...

In an effort to help revive the country travel tourism industry the Royal Thai Government has agreed to extend the exemption of the Thailand visa fee for tourist visa applications until 4 March 2010.

If I would receive a tourist visa at a consulate, it will be free until 4 March 2010? Are the tourist visa's good for a stay in Thailand for 60 days or 30 days? Will honorary Thai consulates also implement the fee exemption?

Wino: Not sure what country you are in, but US citizens and citizens of many other countries do not need a visa to visit Thailand for less than 30 days at a time, according to the US State Department's page on Thailand.

This is from the website of the Thai embassy in Washington, D.C.:

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

Here is a list of countries that that do not require a visa for stays of less than 30 days.

The 30-day visit is for anyone entering the country by air or across the Thailand/Malaysia border. If you enter by other than air or the Malaysian border, then you can only stay 15 days without a visa.

As I understand it, and one of you guys who know about these things correct me if I'm wrong, you have to apply for a tourist visa if you intend to stay for up to 60 days. These are the required documents:

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  • One visa application form completely filled out (download)
  • Two passport-size photographs taken within last 6 months.
  • A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary paid in full
  • A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance ($500 per person and $1,000 per family)
  • For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card with employment verification or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter
  • For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.

Seems pretty stringent. Processing times for applications made by mail in the US are about 10 days.

If you are one of those who can enter the country without a visa, you can't stay more than 90 days combined during any six-month period. To stay more than 90 days, you have to leave and get a visa from a Thai embassy outside the country.

Thai immigration will stamp your passport with the date your visit expires. If you stay longer, you'll have to pay a fine on departing the country, or you may be subject to arrest and fines if caught by the police during an immigration sweep.

• 1 month later...

If I would receive a tourist visa at a consulate, it will be free until 4 March 2010? Are the tourist visa's good for a stay in Thailand for 60 days or 30 days? Will honorary Thai consulates also implement the fee exemption?

Hello Wino, This will be also applyable to the Tourist Visa (60 days) which issued by the Thai Embassy and Thai Consulate. The government of Thailand has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

Hello Wino, This will be also applyable to the Tourist Visa (60 days) which issued by the Thai Embassy and Thai Consulate. The government of Thailand has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

Thanks Sangchai. There are a few small honorary Thai consulates scattered throughout the US and elsewhere. I was not sure if the fee waiver applied to them, as well. The honorary Thai consulate, that I usually use, runs the operation out of her home. She provides quick, easy service but I am worried that she is not being compensated for her work in this "exempt fee" period. I guess she will manage somehow.

Thanks Sangchai. There are a few small honorary Thai consulates scattered throughout the US and elsewhere. I was not sure if the fee waiver applied to them, as well. The honorary Thai consulate, that I usually use, runs the operation out of her home. She provides quick, easy service but I am worried that she is not being compensated for her work in this "exempt fee" period. I guess she will manage somehow.

I know that in the UK the honorary consulate charges a 'service' fee as they cannot survive on the free issue of visas. I've heard reports on the same in the US & other countries.

I know that in the UK the honorary consulate charges a 'service' fee as they cannot survive on the free issue of visas. I've heard reports on the same in the US & other countries.

Makes sense that the honorary consulates charge a service fee during this period. Usually there is no service fee, but I can understand why they have to charge something. It takes time and effort to provide these services.

The honorary consulates are so much easier and friendlier to use. I have found that usually you do not need as much paperwork as you do with the big city consulates. The first time I used the honorary consulate; the person was on vacation in California but was still able to accommodate my request and a turn around time of about a week.