Thaiway

Monkey Island

Rate this topic

Wino

Here is an article about Monkey Island. Has anyone visited it or heard about it? I am not sure why they would also call it Duck Island?

MONKEY MAGIC

Duck Island, also known as Monkey Island, is an experience not to be missed by tourists and residents alike and can only be accessed by boat, many of which operate from all the beaches of Pattaya.

When planning a trip, be sure to take along a substantial amount of fruit of all varieties to ensure an amusing and memorable day whilst also feeding the numerous monkeys which inhabit the Island

I was lucky enough to have been invited to visit the island by none other than a very happy and friendly local Thai after having said I’d never heard of the place and had not seen it advertised anywhere - not to say it isn’t.

The arrival at the Island, which took approximately twenty minutes, was amazing. What looked like a quiet uninhabited place came alive as trees rustled and swayed with the descent of numerous monkeys making their way down to the beach

Many of them being shy, stayed at the water’s edge, waiting for any fruit that was thrown from the boat to float in to them. Others however, swam out to the boat to guarantee themselves a meal. Never have I seen such bravado from creatures so small, some climbing aboard to snatch the fruit from our hands and cramming as much as possible into their mouths until their cheeks swelled like balloons and if not kept and eye on, snatching the whole bag…..(keep hold of all personal effects as if left unguarded will be lost).

The sweetest sight of all were the tiny babies who clung to their mothers and spent half the time submerged under water whilst Mum fed herself.

Just one of the many wonders of Thailand… An outing not be missed!

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/showfeature

That island has only recently become a tourist attraction. The monkey population was relatively unknown until news reports started coming in that the monkeys were starving to death and dying of thirst. No one seems to know how the monkeys got out there, to an offshore island, but now they are there and tourism has become their salvation. I have not been to that island, but there are many indigenous monkey populations in Thailand. One of the most famous is the "Monkey Temple" in Lop Buri, near Bangkok. People come to these populations every day and enjoy feeding the monkeys. Most of those monkey colonies, being indigenous, can fend for themselves, but the colony on that island is completely dependent on tourism.

One tip: Take bottled water with you. Whenever I go to one of the monkey colonies I always take at least one six-pack of bottled water. The monkeys are always hungry, but they love the water too. When feeding them, it is best to stick to fruits, vegetables, and water. They'll eat just about anything and I have seen people giving them candy, soft drinks, and other items that are probably the worst things they could possibly give them.

A few monkeys are somewhat cute but one must never forget they can be nasty little bastards too. The area near Hua Hin has a few tourist attractions that have significant populations of monkeys and, while I'm no wuss, I've actually had the living daylights scared out of me a few times by some of those "cute" monkeys. Given the chance and the right circumstances, they will attack (and an attack usually involves an attempt to chew your face off) - so, while you should enjoy the communion with "nature", watch yourself a little and especially watch out for your kids (who, of course, think that little fang-bearing monkey is just as cute as a baby kitten).

Although the little monkeys are cute, they can be very aggressive. I remember going to the monkey forest near Ubud in Bali. I little girl was bitten by a monkey when several of them swarmed her for food. I remembered picking up a stick for protection and was approached by a very mean looking creature. I think he was ready for a fight. I did an exit, stage right. I was glad to get out of there.