Thaiway

Free Wi Fi At McDonald's

Rate this topic

Wino

I had no idea that McDonald's even had wi fi and free makes it even better. Does anyone know if Thailand's McDonald's has wi fi?

Alongside Starbucks, McDonald's was one of the early (if unlikely) pioneers in putting equipment Wi-Fi into its restaurants. The goal of course was to get people to linger in the establishments (and buy more food while they're there) -- 11,000 of McD's 14,000 locations now have Wi-Fi available -- instead of just grabbing their McNuggets and jetting for greener pastures.

The catch: McWi-Fi historically cost $2.95 for a two-hour block of time... perhaps a bit much even for the average Mickey D's consumer, weaned on the ultra-cheap dollar menu, to stomach.

Now McDonald's is taking a bold step and jettisoning the fee. Beginning in mid-January, Wi-Fi access at all McDonald's locations that offer the service will become free, making it (to my knowledge) the largest provider of free wireless services in the country.

Clearly the service is intended for customers only, but McDonald's says it won't impose time restrictions on users: "Free is free," says the company's CIO David Grooms. One also wonders how many parking lots will fill with laptop users grabbing a taste of the signal.

Will free Wi-Fi really turn McDonald's, hardly a place where anyone likes to linger, whiling away the afternoon, into a "destination?" It certainly can't hurt. I've been known to shell out four bucks for a coffee plus another $3.99 for two hours of web access at Starbucks when I'm out of the office, between meetings, and in need of a Net connection to get a little work done. That's a lot of cash for what usually amounts to an hour's worth of work. A small order of fries and a Coke, and web access at no charge, sounds a bit more enticing... although the atmosphere may not be quite as romantic. And what about the power outlet situation?

How will Starbucks respond? The company has been battered financially over the last several years, as the recession has eaten into the money wasted on upscale coffee beverages. Could the coffee chain call McDonald's bet and also go free, upping the ante on the Wi-Fi war? Finish your Big Mac and weigh in in the comments.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/158001

I don't think they should discriminate against the homeless. If the homeless guys buys something, he should be treated like any other customer. As the article said, "McDonald's says it won't impose time restrictions on users: "Free is free," says the company's CIO David Grooms.