Thaiway

New 20 & 50 baht Coins

Rate this topic

Wino

Will this be a welcome change?

Possibly, if these coins are easily distinguishable from existing coins. When they came out with the 2 baht coin, it was very confusing because it was close to the size of the 5 baht coins. They have since changed the newer coins to a gold color, but most of the originals are still in circulation.

I don't see any particular advantage to 20 and 50 baht coins. I would prefer to see bills in denominations larger than 1000 baht. I do not understand why 2000, 3000, or 5000 baht bills are not available. Perhaps it's because so many of the shops can't make change even for the 1000 baht bills.

I like to have some "mad money" in my wallet in case of an emergency. I usually fold up a bill or two and hid it in one of the compartments in my wallet. Would be nice to have a 5,000 baht note for this function.

I always like to have the exact change for the baht bus driver or motorbike taxi guy. A good many small business vendors don't have the change for a 1,000 baht note. So a 5,000 baht note would be out of the question.

It is amazing that many small businesses do not have change for 1,000 baht note. Usually not a problem, if you are not in a hurry. Seems they can always go down the road and find a friend or associate that has change.

Must admit I prefer 20 baht & 50 baht notes to save lugging about change in my pocket. I never take coins of 1 baht or less in shops, just tell then to keep it. Try to use 5 & 10 baht coins as quick as possible. I carry quite a bit of small notes in my pocket as many vendors never have change, I often suspect they hope you will just say 'keep the change'. I know that taxi drivers in Phuket never ever have any change, and just drive off with your 'change' without further discussion. I always make sure I have change before boarding a bus, or buying small items in a mom & pop shop. No problems in 7/11 though.

a good place to get change of 1000.

If I am in need of smaller bills, a trick that I use is to withdraw 900 baht at a time from an ATM or 400 baht at a time if I don't want 500 baht bills. But you have to have a Thai bank account for this to be a viable alternative. If you are using a foreign ATM card, the ATMs all charge a 150 baht fee for each withdrawal.

Speaking of small change and 7-Eleven, if you keep one-baht coins and satang coins in a piggy bank, when you have enough of them don't try to exchange them at a bank. A bank won't take them. However, stores such as 7-Eleven and Family Mart do want them and they are happy to count it all out and exchange it for you. It is best to go during hours when the store won't be crowded.

I like to have money in my pocket and do not necessarily enjoy going to the ATM daily. When I make a withdrawal I usually go into the bank and ask for a combination of 1,000, 500, 100 and 20 baht notes. I put what I don't want to carry in my safe and put the rest in the wallet. Works for me.