Thaiway

Wake Up Times In The LOS

Rate this topic

There is more involved in forgiveness than just going to confession and saying some prayers.

Huh? If that's true, that's another thing that the priests lied to me about.

We started going to weekly confession at school in the second grade. Hell, I was 6 when I started second grade (7 shortly thereafter) and I had to actually make up shit to tell the priest. A couple of times I thought I was going to piss my pants!

Ah....the horror of it (I still remember)....

Don't you remember the part where you said "for these sins I am heartily sorry"? You had to have the intent to not do it again. Or did you say "for these sins I am hardly sorry"?

Actually don't remember that part. Remember the beginning: Bless me, father, for I have sinned, my last confession was "x" weeks/months ago. Then you start listing your infractions. Don't remember having said I was sorry (if I did say that, I lied....hehe).

Our comments are probably pretty boring for the non-demented (meaning those who weren't raised Catholic).

For whatever reason, the whole idea of confession seemed to be like going into the box to get one of those Monopoly "Get out of Jail" cards. The system seemed to breed the belief that you could do whatever the hell you like because you could escape ultimate liability by just going in the confessional.

I use to marvel at why almost all the mafia were Catholics. I can see it now: Sorry, father, I offed 16 guys this week and tortured a few more. After saying the 5 "our fathers" and 5 "hail marys", then he felt rather free to go out and kill a few more (cause you could get cleared of those murders by your next trip to the confessional).

• 4 months later...