Thaiway

Solving Taxicab Scams

Rate this topic

Wino

Bangkok is not the only place with problems with dishonest taxicab drivers. The following is an article about Rome's problem and the way the officials propose to solve it. Online bookings and telephone text messaging sounds like it might work. Would this work in Bangkok?

ROME (Reuters Life!) – Rome's largest taxi cooperative is trying to improve the bad name of the city's cabbies, notorious among tourists to one of the world's best loved cities.

A ride from either of Rome's airports to the center of the Italian capital can cost twice what it should, with drivers often squabbling over the right to carry apparently inexperienced visitors and inventing excuses not to pick up locals.

That is set to end, according to Radiotaxi 3570, which has launched a system for tourists to pay on line before they leave home.

"We want to change the public's perceptions about Rome taxi drivers," said 3570's Chairman Loreno Bittarelli at a press presentation, adding that the same services would soon be available in other large Italian cities.

The on-line booking system will also allow tourists to order a cabbie who speaks English, French, Spanish or German. Another scheme will let customers order and pay via telephone text message.

Improving the image of taxi drivers is part of a broader attempt to spruce up services for visitors and end scams.

A colorful billboard campaign recently launched by the town council announces: "Rome loves tourists."

Under the slogan: "Be smart, don't try to be clever," the posters tell taxi drivers, hoteliers and shopkeepers that "more honesty and transparency help you and your city."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091130/od_nm/us_rome_taxis

Would this work in Bangkok?

I think it would be worth a try, although I don't think there is much of a problem in Bangkok. I very rarely hear complaints about the Bangkok taxi drivers. In Bangkok there are the tuk-tuks and motorcycle taxis and I doubt those would be practical for ordering and paying online. Also, how many foreign tourists are going to even have a mobile phone that works in Bangkok?

In one way, something similar to the article is being done and has existed for many years. Those are the pre-paid taxis available at the airport.

I think it would be worth a try, although I don't think there is much of a problem in Bangkok. I very rarely hear complaints about the Bangkok taxi drivers.

I beg to differ. Now I live in Patong where the Tuk Tuk mafia rule, and the meter taxis are scared off the streets of Patong with threats of violence. I thought Bangkok would be different and meters are used without asking. My last trip to Bangkok, no trouble with the taxi from Don Muang to Suk Soi 4 (Nana, off course). I was asked if I wanted to go the toll road, no problem, cost me 300 baht, including 50 baht airport charge, toll, and a small tip. Going back I thought 300 baht would be the max, but asking all the taxis parked in Soi 4 all asked 500 baht and siad a tip would be extra and expected (!!!), no chance of meter charge. Ok, so I walk to the main road, flagged down the first taxi, a young guy, though he would say no to meter, but he agreed. Cost 145 baht on meter, 75 baht in tolls, I gave 300 baht, and he was delighted with the 80 baht tip.

No different in Hong Kong last year. Took the taxi from hotel in Kowloon to airport, no meter but pre-agreed price which was reasonable compared with meter price from airport to Kowloon. But on arrival airport, much more was demanded, in fact double price asked to cover his trip back to town. I just called a cop and he quickly agreed to the original price. Sheesh, ruined my day with all the hassle.

I was in a touristy area of Bangkok going to the airport early one morning. I stopped a couple of cabs and they wanted a flat rate. I finally found a taxi that would use the meter. He stopped about five minutes into the trip and said I had to transfer to his friend's taxi. I threw a fit. Luckily it was a busy street and I was able to flag down another taxi. I have no idea what kind of scam that was but I was very happy to find a passing taxi.