Thaiway

Where to Renew a Long Term (Retirement) Visa

Rate this topic

Sorry if this is already been answered (I'm too lazy to look through all the posts).

My one-year visa (some call it a retirement visa) was issued in Hua Hin. I know you have to report your Thai address every 90 days (at least while you're in country) and my "last reporting" before I have to renew the long-term visa will occur here in Chiangmai. So: Can I renew the long-term visa anywhere in Thailand or do I have to go to either Chiangmai or Hua Hin to do it?

That's what I've been told also but I have no clue if it's correct. My problem is that I'm going to last register an address in Chiangmai but I'll be living in Hua Hin when the time to renew comes up. Based on what I've heard and what you're saying, it appears I have to come back up to Chiangmai to renew the visa (which is what I didn't want to have to do). Oh well, I'll figure it out.

When he moves to Hua Hin, he has to go to immigration and register his new address. That's the law. I believe it has to be done within 7 or 10 days, I forget which. Then he'll be registered in Hua Hin and will be able to renew his visa there.

Huh? Actually, glad to hear that. I know about the 90-day address reporting deal but I had no clue you had to report a new address if you move during one of the 90-day time period. If you're right, problem solved.

If you're right, problem solved.

I'm certain of it. But even if I am wrong, you can still go in and submit a new address report before the 90 days expires. I did that myself, more than a month before the expiration date, and no questions were asked. But yes, you are definitely required to report a change of address. Keeping a current record of your address is the reason behind the 90-day address reports, which is why you are required to report any address changes as quickly as possible.

• 2 weeks later...