Thaiway

Kick a Ginger Day

Rate this topic

WannaGo

Apparently, an episode of "South Park" from a few years ago gave kids the idea to go around kicking redheads on Nov. 20 each year. Given that I'm a ginger (or was when I still had hair), I'm glad I'm not in school anymore.

Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives are investigating an assault on a 12-year-old middle school boy in Calabasas who may have been targeted after a Facebook group urged students to beat up redheads, a sheriff's official said Saturday.

The boy was kicked and hit in two incidents on the campus of A.E. Wright Middle School by as many as 14 of his classmates, Lt. Richard Erickson said. The students who participated in the attack may have been motivated by a Facebook message telling them that Friday was "Kick a Ginger Day," Erickson said.

"Ginger" is a label given to people with red hair, freckles and fair skin, Erickson said, adding that the victim has red hair. He said the Facebook message may have been inspired by an episode of the animated television show "South Park." An episode in 2005 focused on prejudice against "gingers" after one of the characters said people with red hair, light skin and freckles have no souls and suffer from a disease called "Gingervitus."

More