Thaiway

Thailand coup: Not all coverage unwelcome as junta cracks down on press

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

ABC's South-East Asia correspondent Samantha Hawley has been covering the political and civil unrest in Thailand that culminated in the military coup last week. She was granted a rare interview with army spokesman Colonel Werachon Sukondhapatipak, amid increasing attacks on journalists and free speech.

In a rare interview, the spokesman for Thailand's ruling military told the ABC a coup was necessary to prevent civil war.

I must say I was surprised when the army colonel agreed to a one-on-one interview.

After all Thailand's army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has spent the past week cracking down on freedom of speech and freedom of press across Thailand.

I don't tend to read the local English newspapers anymore to find out what is really going on in Thailand. Self-censorship is now rife across all media outlets.

Of course, the ruling junta can't censor the large number of foreign journalists who live in Bangkok and who have travelled to the capital to cover the return to military rule. But they can try.

The new ruling general moved quickly to shut off international broadcasters.

The BBC and CNN were first to be taken off air and then Australia Network followed. Ironically, that service will be removed for good because of funding cuts within a month anyway.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-30/not-all-coverage-unwelcome-as-thai-junta-cracks-down-on-press/5490694