Thaiway

The Flavorful Culture Of Thailand

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

Thailand is one of my favorite places in the world, an exotic gem, where the architecture and artistry are matched only by the friendliness of the people; where every flavor is more pleasing than the last; and where Buddhism binds the culture seamlessly. If you're reading this, you are already probably a fan of Thai food, and for good reason. Thai food is an exceptional combination of exotic sweet, tangy and peppery spices, fresh ingredients, and stunning presentation, and most who try it are hooked for life.

I recently had the pleasure of scouting Access Trips' brand new Thai culinary tour, Flavors & Culture of Exotic Siam. Our cooking tours feature the perfect balance of cultural "must sees" and magical secret spots and Thailand is no exception. When not out exploring, I worked with talented local chefs, learning to cook delicious Thai food that I have easily been able to replicate at home, much to the delight of my family.

From tangy salads to rich, hearty soups and delectable curries, I enjoyed three cooking classes, preparing some of Thailand's most exotically spicy and delicious meals. Riding a traditional long-tail boat up Bangkok's Chao Phraya River to Chef Tam's ancestral home set the tone for the first cooking class. After a tour of her lush herb gardens that overlook a quiet Bangkok "klong" or canal, and an explanation of the various herbs used in Thai cuisine, we headed to an open air kitchen where I learned to prepare Phad Thai, coconut chicken soup, coconut pancakes and sumptuous wok-fried ground chicken with basil. In two additional cooking courses in Chiang Mai, I learned additional recipes, from rich home-style curries to Thai-style banana fritters.

In addition to cooking, I enjoyed warm Thai hospitality and friendly smiles, as I wandered local markets, listened to the monks chant at Wat Po, and stumbled upon a parade celebrating the birth of Buddha. Deep in Bangkok's Chinatown, a single circular banquet table awaited as I passed through the doors of an unmarked Chinese shop house. Within minutes, plate after plate of steaming fresh Chinese food was brought out to the table. I sampled shrimp dumplings topped with fried shallots and garlic, Chef Jok's signature steamed crabs (he used to be a crab vendor), and at least six other dishes. I will have to go back!

For the full story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tamar-lowell/flavors-of-thailand_b_1895352.html