Thaiway

Almost Half of Thai Men Smoke?

Rate this topic

This was the last paragraph of a story I was reading about anti-tobacco protests in Bangkok...does this seem credible to you guys who live there?

Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nop-amornbodi said Thailand has 14 million smokers, according to official statistics. The data showed that nearly 46 per cent of men and 3.1 per cent of women were smokers. However, 60 per cent of smokers tend to quit smoking and about 4.6 million Thai smokers have stopped smoking.

Surprisingly tobacco use in the US has risen recently, after many years of decline. I believe smokers are about 20% in the US.

How recently are you talking about? The 2007 National Survey on Drug Use and Health by the Department of Health and Human Services had this:

The rate of current use of any tobacco product among persons aged 12 or older decreased from 29.6 percent in 2006 to 28.6 percent in 2007, but the rates of current use of cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, cigars, and pipe tobacco did not change significantly over that period. Between 2002 and 2007, past month use of any tobacco product decreased from 30.4 to 28.6 percent, and past month cigarette use declined from 26.0 to 24.2 percent. Rates of past month use of cigars, smokeless tobacco, and pipe tobacco were similar in 2002 and 2007.

I did not find the article I originally saw, but here is a different one stating the increase.

“The report says the percentage of American smokers rose from 19.8 percent in 2007 to 20.6 percent in 2008.â€

http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/Modern+Medicine+Now/Smoking-Rate-Increases-Slightly-in-United-States/ArticleNewsFeed/Article/detail/641668?contextCategoryId=40144

• 1 month later...

Definitely smoking is no good for your health. Doctors now know smoking plays a big role in heart disease and cancer. I feel sorry for the youth of the third world. Smoking is still seen as manly and cool.