Thaiway

Man Too Fat To Enter Court

Rate this topic

eleothegreat

Another weird/scary thing. Got this off from a site:

"A suburban New York music shop owner accused of selling knockoff Gibson Les Paul guitars had to be arraigned in a pickup truck in a courthouse parking lot, after his lawyer said the 500lb defendant could not walk into the courthouse.

State Supreme Court Justice Robert Doyle said the man's 'severe weight problem', which prompted the unusual proceeding Thursday in Riverhead. A defense lawyer also had given the court a doctor's letter saying the defendant suffers from osteoarthritis.

The shopkeeper has been released without bail after pleading not guilty to trademark counterfeiting and criminal simulation. He says the case and health problems have forced him to close his store.

He is accused of selling bogus Gibsons for $1,500 (£760) to buyers who thought they were far more valuable genuine versions of the classic electric guitar."

Photo of the man on the site: http://smashingmagazine.blogspot.com/2008/05/defendant-too-fat-to-enter-court.html

I suspect - food. he he he

Yes, indeed. A dozen Big Macs and a couple dozen Krispy Kreme donuts a day may do it. I was thinking more in the line of depression or other psych problems. Genetics and metabolic issues are also a big factor, as well as thyroid problems. How about environmental factors? Living in the USA may make a big difference in how a person eats. You do not often see a 500 pound man in Thailand.

I suspect - food. he he he

Or lack of exercise (the two-handed pushaway from the dining room table...). I don't get too bent out of shape by "horizontally-challenged" people unless they're in the airplane seat next to me (and, dammit, half of mine!). I just don't want to spend 3-13 hours feeling the behemouth breathing let alone having his elbow laying on my stomach. I love the Thai Airline website which has a section on overweight people - telling them that, if they're too big, they are expected to either by a business seat or two regulars. That's the way it ought to be.

You do not often see a 500 pound man in Thailand.

You're right but I've started to mention to friends since about 2004 that I can't believe the number of chubby Thai kids I'm beginning to see (it's not a majority but it surely is a hell of a lot more than a decade ago). My guess is that's it's directly related to diet change (and directly proportional to the number of burger shops, donut shops, pizza shops, bakery joints, etc., that have opened up over here).

This is weird story about children who drink whole milk. A study found:

Children as young as eight who drink milk every day have a lower body mass index than those who drink the low fat variety, according to the study from Gothenburg University in Sweden.

The new study found that children who drink full fat milk weigh on average almost nine pounds less than other children.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6504766/Children-who-drink-full-fat-milk-weigh-less-than-those-who-do-not.html

Have you seen the Super Size Me documentary a couple of years back, when that man tried to eat supersized Mcdonald's meals for thirty days to find out if it was the major cause of obesity in the US.

I've had it in my Netflix queue forever, but just never have gotten around to watching it. Is it any good?

I did not see the super size me documentary, but I imagine portion sizes are one of the reason so many Americans are obese.

Certainly an important factor. It seems to me that the restaurants in the US for the last 20-years have been engaged in a contest to see how much food they can shove in front of you. They give me far more food that I would have gotten myself from a buffet. And I find myself searching menus to determine what particular item won't be too damn much (and often end up settling on some fish entry or something like a caesar salad with chicken or tuna.

What is the most gross thing to me is behemouths waddling down the beach in a speedo or bikini (most of which if often hidden below some fold of fat). You'd think they'd stay away from the beach presuming they had any deathly fear of harpoon scars...

What is the most gross thing to me is behemouths waddling down the beach in a speedo or bikini (most of which if often hidden below some fold of fat). You'd think they'd stay away from the beach presuming they had any deathly fear of harpoon scars...

I have to laugh to myself when I see the beached whales in those skimpy beach outfit. Don't they know how gross that is, or is it, they just don't care.