Thaiway

What do we have to look forward about being in Thailand?

Rate this topic

Juniper

There are too many things to look forward to about being there in Thailand. But what interests me the most are the places and foods or events that are rarely mentioned on books or television, yet one of the best things to experiend once in Thailand. I hope those who can read this will share their thoughts!

I agree that there is so much to love about Thailand but I think the Festivals are one of the things that make it really unique. Loy Kratong here in Bangsaen has once again been great but Songkran is something impossible to describe to people. The Festivals really must be experienced to really appreciate how special they are!!!

I enjoy both Songkran and Loy Krathong. It's difficult for me to understand how people (a fair number of them) simply detest Songkran. As long as you're properly prepared (sandals, wallet in a waterproof baggie, etc.), what's not to like about watching thousands of Thais having a ball? I acknowledge that 3+ days of it can get a bit tiresome - but just stay inside once you've reached your limit. And, with minimal effort, you can walk around without getting too blasted (I always have camera in hand although I do take a plastic bag with me if/when it's needed).

It is obvious that you are not living in Pattaya. Here Songkran lasts for six (6) days. When I was coming here as a tourist, it was one day and that was fun, but 6 days gets very old fast. You cannot go out without being soaked and slapped with talc or rice paste. The first year I lived here Ihad to go to the supermarket and, of course, I was soaked when I got there. With the A/C and being soaking wet I started to shiver uncontrollably and had to leave the market without finishing my shopping. Here some (mostly drunken farang) put ice in the water. They even rent water truck with about 5 inch diameter hoses to spray, even spraying people on motorbikes and have a good laugh if they knock them down. It has gotten so far out of hand, the only thing for me to do is leave the country. My Thai bf is a singer and when he lived in Udon, he was performing at an outdoor Songkran event. Some idiot threw a bucket of water at him while he was on stage singing holding an electric microphone. He was lucky not to be electrocuted.

It's difficult for me to understand how people (a fair number of them) simply detest Songkran. As long as you're properly prepared (sandals, wallet in a waterproof baggie, etc.), what's not to like about watching thousands of Thais having a ball? I acknowledge that 3+ days of it can get a bit tiresome - but just stay inside once you've reached your limit. And, with minimal effort, you can walk around without getting too blasted (I always have camera in hand although I do take a plastic bag with me if/when it's needed).

If you live in an area of Pattaya that has tourists you might think differently.

The problem for me is I live in Pattaya.

Only lasts 3 days up here in Chiangmai. And, when I was in Hua Hin earlier this year, the water splashing only occurred on one day (other than some minor back soi fun a little bit the night before April 15th). Yea, I can see I'd get sick of it for 5 or 6 days.

My understand is Cambodia and Laos also have Songkran. I am not sure if it is as crazy as in Pattaya. I usually go to Vietnam or Malaysia. Even in KL there was a bar having a Songkran party. There was a big sign saying if you entered you should plan on getting wet. I walked on past it.