Thaiway

Muscle Bound Boy

Rate this topic

Wino

I would think that weight lifting would hurt the growing muscles and bones of a five year old. Looks like it hasn’t hurt this young boy. His hard work has entered his name in the record book.

"A muscle-bound boy has been entered into the Guinness Book of Records after performing an incredible physical stunt.

Romanian Giuliano Stroe, five, has been training since the age of two in Italy - where he lives with his family - and now the hard work has finally paid off.

He was entered into the record books earlier this year after performing some impressive 'hand-walking' skills to a panel of judges and an astonished audience on an Italian TV show .

The exceptional pre-schooler performed the fastest ever 10m hand walk with a weight ball between his legs to the delight of the studio audience.

And he has now become an internet hit after hundreds of thousands of people watched a clip of him performing the stunt on YouTube." post-116-12566462463025_thumb.jpg

http://smashingmagaz...pack-child.html

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my God that is scary. Posted Image

When I was 15 I wanted to start going to the gym but my parents didn't allow me to do so because they said it would stunt my growth. Did that little guy grow, or is he still short?

And besides, who would let a 2 year old lift weights?

My thoughts exactly. I would not think it healthy for a person so young to lift weights.

Actually, the boy's father said that he had been training all his life, and tagged the boy along to the gym when he was training. That's when the little boy started to lift weight - started with playing with the small dumbells perhaps. But what's crazy is why they allowed him to do so.

The father even said that the boy was always guided and was never allowed to lift weights on his own, and that he was never forced. "After all, he is still a boy. He likes to play and do other things as well."

Whatever.

Of course, the father is going to say that.

But what if it is true. What if the boy wants to be like Dad and shows interest in lifting weights? In the photos and video I have seen, it seems no physical harm has been to the boy. It is hard for me to believe but it is a possibility, isn't it?

Even if the father isn't actively pushing the kid, he is allowing the kid to do it. Just because the kid wants to be like daddy, doesn't me he should be allowed to lift weight at such a young age. I think it can cause harm to a developing body to put that much stress on it. Hell, even kids in ballet classes aren't allowed to go en pointe until they are 5-6 years old.

I'm no doctor but I've always heard that you simply can't let a kid before he's hit his/her growing spurt (12-14 years old?) to engage in certain strenous and repetitive activities as it can cause harm to the growing (and more sensitive) bones and ligiments. I don't particularly care what this kid is doing but I'm hopeful it doesn't come back to haunt him in later life.

Actually, the boy's father said that he had been training all his life, and tagged the boy along to the gym when he was training. That's when the little boy started to lift weight - started with playing with the small dumbells perhaps. But what's crazy is why they allowed him to do so.

The father even said that the boy was always guided and was never allowed to lift weights on his own, and that he was never forced. "After all, he is still a boy. He likes to play and do other things as well."

Whatever.

I'm not buying dad's story...look at the kid...to get ripped like that, he would need to have someone coaching him pretty seriously. That's not "playing around" with equipment at the gym while dad works out.

I'm no doctor but I've always heard that you simply can't let a kid before he's hit his/her growing spurt (12-14 years old?) to engage in certain strenous and repetitive activities as it can cause harm to the growing (and more sensitive) bones and ligiments. I don't particularly care what this kid is doing but I'm hopeful it doesn't come back to haunt him in later life.

I don't know if it is a myth or not, but I always thought growing bodies should not be exposed to strenuous and repetitive activities, as well. I cringe when I hear about mom and dad's pushing football, baseball and hockey on young kids.

Here's a confirmation: weight lifting does not stunt growth. Our heights are embedded in our DNA and other factors (my boyfriend's aunt is just 4 ft tall and they said it was because of a medication overdose when she was a kid), but not because of weight lifting.

Yes, Wino, I also cringe at the thought of people pushing their kids to do strenuous sports at a young age. Tae Kwon Do at Three!!!

I am not sure if they are talking about children as young as 4, 5, or 6, but according to this study, “Strength training programs for preadolescents and adolescents can be safe and effective if proper resistance training techniquesand safety precautions are followed.â€

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/6/1470

The key word is safe. If a reasonable and safe program is adhered to, it looks like according to their findings, no harm is done to a child.

I'm not sure this kid is what they had in mind when they issued those recommendations.

"Preadolescents and adolescents should avoid competitive weight lifting, power lifting, body building, and maximal lifts until they reach physical and skeletal maturity."

He might not be exactly competing, but his muscular development is way beyond the norm. And physical effects aside, I wonder what the psychological repercussions are when you push a kid like this.

He might not be exactly competing, but his muscular development is way beyond the norm. And physical effects aside, I wonder what the psychological repercussions are when you push a kid like this.

The Romania and Russia Olympic gymnasts of years past come to mind. Weren't those girls about 13 or 14 years old? They must have been training for years in order to be good enough to win a medal. Tiger Woods also comes to mind. I think his dad put a golf club in his hand at a very early age. Of course, golf is not as physically demanding as other sports, but psychologically there still may be repercussions.

The Romania and Russia Olympic gymnasts of years past come to mind. Weren't those girls about 13 or 14 years old? They must have been training for years in order to be good enough to win a medal. Tiger Woods also comes to mind. I think his dad put a golf club in his hand at a very early age. Of course, golf is not as physically demanding as other sports, but psychologically there still may be repercussions.

It must screw kids up when you push them to be adults before they've even finished being children. Not just the little bodybuilder, but like you said, the athletes, beauty pageant queens and little geniuses, too. Parents have to stop using their kids to achieve what they couldn't themselves.

It must screw kids up when you push them to be adults before they've even finished being children. Not just the little bodybuilder, but like you said, the athletes, beauty pageant queens and little geniuses, too. Parents have to stop using their kids to achieve what they couldn't themselves.

I agree 100 %, although it doesn't necessarily screw up all kids. Tiger Woods seems like a well adjusted adult. Although for the one success I bet there are many failures.