Thaiway

Pattaya A Family Destination?

Rate this topic

Wino

Here is an article by Phatarawadee Phataranawik about Pattaya. I have heard this many times, but Pattaya is still trying to get away from its red-light reputation and become a typical beach destination. The media and government officials are trying hard to overcome the Pattaya sleaze factor.

New developments await as the beach town aspires to cast off its red-light reputation and welcome families and upscale couples.

Pattaya has long been known for its notorious side - the town is afflicted by chock-a-block red-light spots, drug abuse and crime. Yet in recent years, luxury condos, five-star boutique hotels and resorts, golf courses, chic shopping malls, cool clubs, gourmet restaurants and modern art galleries have been reshaping the beach town, which is just an hour and a half hour drive from the capital.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/02/22/entertainment/entertainment_30066154.php

I do not blame the government officials in trying to clean up Pattaya and Pattaya’s reputation. Pattaya has a lot going for it. Being close to Bangkok, the location is good. The infrastructure is good with easy and quick access to Bangkok and the airport. World class shopping, restaurants, hotels, golf and festivals are another selling point. I do see families when I am out and about and so not all are put off by the “red light†reputation. Many back home might see it as a Sodom and Gomorrah and many more might see it as a lovely resort by the sea.

Thais seem to think malls are upscale, just reminds me of New Jersey. Posted Image

New Jersey tries to be world class like New York, Pattaya tries to be world class like Bangkok. Same, same but different.

I've visited Pattaya a couple of times. It's just a big city with a limited beach. It's Ok if you don't know any different. But there are so so many much nicer beaches in Thailand. I'm lucky enough to live on Phuket Island which has a number of beautiful beaches. Yes I know Patong is not a 'beautiful' town or a beautiful beach, but there are beautiful remote beaches with blue ocean water less than 30 minutes drive away.

I think Patong is pointing out, that although Pattaya may have the infrastructure; the beaches are not as nice as other resort towns. I agree that the beach in Pattaya is not much, although Jomtiem is a little better; it still is not that great in comparison to others oceanside resorts. Ko Larn in Pattaya bay has some nice beaches as well as down the coast, but some might find it a hassle to go 30 minutes or more to a nice beach from their hotel room.

It's a matter of choice.

It is a matter of choice. Whatever floats your boat? I think many people from Bangkok like Pattaya because of the proximity. Another factor in picking Pattaya is economics. I think Pattaya is cheaper than many other similar resort towns its size.