Thaiway

Eating Cockroaches

Rate this topic

Wino

When I saw this article about a Michigan man trying to set a new Guinness World Record by eating 16 cockroaches. Gross! I know that eating insects in Thailand is common but eating 16 hissing Madagascar cockroaches?

Sun Oct 25, 8:54 am ET

LANSING, Mich. – A Michigan pet store employee got himself a mouthful of cockroaches — on purpose. The Lansing State Journal reported Sean Murphy on Friday stuffed 16 Madagascar hissing cockroaches into his mouth. He was trying to set a new Guinness World Records mark and said the old record was 11.

Murphy initially got 12 squirming cockroaches into his mouth, but then kept adding them until he got to 16. He says it was a "big surprise" since he's never fit that many in his mouth before "in one try."

The employee of Preuss Pets in Lansing says each cockroach was at least 2 1/2 inches long. Murphy says he might try for 20 next year. A video of the feat was posted on the newspaper's Web site.

Murphy's effort would need to be certified by Guinness for it to be official.

http://news.yahoo.co...WFuc3R1ZmZzbW91

To me, this guy sounds like he needs help from a psychiatrist. Don't Thais eat cockroaches? I see a bunch of different insects in those vendor carts. I am not sure if any are in the cockroach family.

I am not sure if any are in the cockroach family.

Based on what I learned in an entomology course I took a few years ago, none of the "edible" insects are in the cockroach family. One of these "edible" insects strongly resembles cockroaches to the untrained eye, but if you know what to look for you would know at a glance, from the wing structure, that those are not cockroaches, but a type of water insect.

Still, I can think of many items I would choose to eat before I start eating insects.

Based on what I learned in an entomology course I took a few years ago, none of the "edible" insects are in the cockroach family. One of these "edible" insects strongly resembles cockroaches to the untrained eye, but if you know what to look for you would know at a glance, from the wing structure, that those are not cockroaches, but a type of water insect.

Still, I can think of many items I would choose to eat before I start eating insects.

An exterminator friend of mine told me that the common water bug is part of the cockroach family. He started talking about the German cockroach etc, etc and it all went over my head. Being the daredevil I am, I did try a bite from one of the insect vendors in Thailand. One bite was enough. There was not much taste. I found it more crunchy than anything else. One bite was enough for me.

I can not stand cockroaches that begin to fly confusedly from nowhere after spraying a bottle of insect killer much more stuff these inside my mouth, chew and swallow them either dead or alive. And they bite, right? The bit marks become red and swollen and prove to be a real discomfort. They smell, too, like mud water stored for days.

I saw people in the Philippines eating the nearly-developed embryo. Has anyone here tried it?

I had it served to me once right here in Thailand. I was with two Thai friends who loved it. As for me, I couldn't even look at it. They thought the fact that I was disgusted by it was hilarious. It definitely spoiled my appetite, to put it mildly.

Can you imagine going to a restaurant where the appetizer is the fried insects and the main course is the balut? I shudder to think what the dessert must be.

Should we talk about balut? That's another disgusting thing to me, but some people find cheese disgusting, so to each his own.

Do you want to talk about cheese? That is not so disgusting to me.

Balut is not all embryo as one perceived it to be although it is not balut without the embryo. Inside is a yolk looking like the yolk in any hard boiled chicken egg and you can have that instead of the embryo. I don't mind other people find it disgusting to eat, some Pinoys would also find it as that.

But cheese? Why? Blue cheese I heard is looking all moldy and green and stuff and they say it's good. I just want to take their word for it. It is mouthwatering even in my mind. I think I will love it.