Thaiway

Why Does The Edit Button Disappear?

Wino

When posting, I use the "add reply" button and then re-read my post. If I have made any errors, I use the "edit" button. I noticed on an older post that I used here instead of hear and wanted to change it. No "edit" button to be found. Why is that? How do I change an older post?

Why is that? How do I change an older post?

The board software limits the amount of time a post can be edited. After that time period has passed the post can no longer be edited, so the edit button disappears. I'm not sure how long that length of time is. There are pros and cons for limiting the editing time, but the board owner can change the time limitation to however long he wants it to be.

Most edits take place within a few minutes after posting.

I post and then sometimes make a change soon thereafter.

In case where I what I posted is grossly inaccurate or I have a better link, I'll just quote the old post in a new post.

Though on most forums the mods and admins have no time limit. B)

I usually re-read my post and then edit, if need be. For some reason, I did not catch an error I made. I know that minor errors annoy some people and I was hoping to make the correction. Oh well, just call me the language butcher. I would vote for unlimited editing rights, that is if I have a vote.

The problem I see with unlimited editing rights is that a person could go back and change what was written if the discussion turns against them.

So!!! Who cares? If he doesn't stick by his convictions, then you won him over to your point of view. Big deal.

Close counts only in horseshoes and hand grenades!

And, of course, thermonuclear weapons...

Looks like Mr. L and Mr. W are the post leaders at the moment. Since I'm not sure if I should do the "congrats" bit or the "shame on you" bit, I'll play it safe and say "congrats, you blabbermouths!" Don't worry, I'm no competition - nobody would want to listen to me 500 times (especially me!).

I enjoy most of your posts. Much better than some of the babble that comes out of my mouth and others.

Well, keep reading and I'll eventually prove you wrong....hehe.

So far, seems like a fairly friendly bunch around here. Probably a few cooks, couple of serial killers, etc., but friendly nonetheless.