Thaiway

Internet Speed in Thailand

Rate this topic

Patong, you are getting screwed. That is too slow. Barely even workable IMHO. From ToT when I was there I was consistently getting 1.5MB download and 1MB download. That is almost 10 times what you are getting. I am not sure how you surf though a lot of sites like that. I assume that is a connection shared with your building and not something you are paying for?

Patong, you are getting screwed. That is too slow. Barely even workable IMHO. From ToT when I was there I was consistently getting 1.5MB download and 1MB download. That is almost 10 times what you are getting. I am not sure how you surf though a lot of sites like that. I assume that is a connection shared with your building and not something you are paying for?

I'm using a shared wifi hotspot free-of-charge. But some days it takes ages to get a page updates/connection. For example today I've trying to upload Thailandvisa pages these past 20 minutes. I don't have a phone line and I'm told it's not so easy to get one installed. That's why I started this question. I'm thinking about buying one of these plug-in modules supplied by a alternative phone company. Think it's called CDMA or something like that. Costs about 8,000 baht + about 700 baht/month. What do you all think about that idea ?

I just tested the free wireless here at my condo in Chiangmai and it came in at 1 meg download and 0.5 meg upload (using the server in Bangkok to test). Not too bad for free and a hell of a lot better than what the hotel had. (nevertheless, I already signed up for the 3 meg asdl which is supposed to arrive in the morning).

I just tested the free wireless here at my condo in Chiangmai and it came in at 1 meg download and 0.5 meg upload (using the server in Bangkok to test). Not too bad for free and a hell of a lot better than what the hotel had. (nevertheless, I already signed up for the 3 meg asdl which is supposed to arrive in the morning).

That's much the same as the service I have here in Patong. Oh well,I guess I'll just have to use what is available (for free). The CDMA and EVO don't seem much better ?? Any comments ... anyone ...

I just got the following results. Maybe it looks like dial-up, but I assure you it's much faster than that. It may not be as fast as other parts of the world, but I almost always have speed that's fine for me. Besides, what alternative is there in Thailand? You have to take what you can get. I can tell you that these speeds are lightening fast compared to the best that was available only a few years ago.

Posted Image

You might also be interested in this article:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/158198/isps-chided-over-slow-broadband

ISPs chided over slow broadband

* Published: 26/10/2009 at 09:06 PM

The Thai Webmaster Association (TWA) is encouraging internet service providers to ramp up speeds and lower service rates after tests showed that their broadband speeds were lower than what they advertised.

"Broadband speed was just 80% of what they claimed in advertisements,'' said Pol Col Yanapol Yangyuen, the association's president.

He said the result was based on tests done by the TWA and the Thai Telecommunications Consumer Protection Institute (TCI) via www.speedtest.or.th from Aug 24 to Oct 25.

For example, he said, if a user subscribed to a service claiming a 10 Mbps rate, the actual speed was just 8 Mbps.

He said that 846,737 broadband users participated throughout the two-month test. While download speeds were 20% lower than claimed, upload speeds were far lower.

Among all ISPs, Samart Corp offered the best services with both download and upload speeds almost the same.

For True Corporation, he said, download speed averaged 8 Mbps while upload speed was just 1 Mbps.

Triple T Broadband which provides the Max-net service, delivered 78% of advertised download speed, Internet Solution and Service Provider 70%, CS Loxinfo 69%, TOT 68%, I-Net 64% and CAT Telecom 51%.

Pol Col Yanapol also said that each ISP needed to improve service quality, and in particular to narrow the gap between download and upload speeds.