Thaiway

Phuket Police Open Fire as Kidnap Knifeman Flees

Rate this topic

patong

Some local excitement in Kata last night. I seem to remember the last time this happened was a shoot-out on the main Patong beach road a couple of months ago. Anyway, here is the story as reported by Phuket Wan.

Phuket Police Open Fire as Kidnap Knifeman Flees

By Chutima Sidasathian

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Phuketwan Breaking News

SHOTS WERE fired outside one of Phuket's most popular resorts last night as the Miss Teen Thailand Quest was taking place inside.

Tourists scattered as the shots rang out about 8pm near the Kata Beach Resort. Some visitors, thinking the shots were fireworks, hurried closer to see the ''fun.''

The firing came as a man who had kidnapped a woman by holding a knife to her throat attempted to elude police road blocks in an unfolding drama.

For the rest of the story --->

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-police-open-fire-knifeman-flees-11693/

This story seems so unusual for Thailand. It is a bit surprising to me. Do you hear this often?

Not really something that happens so often here on Phuket Island. Sure we have our fair share of local crime, burglaries, stabbings, and the odd shooting. The details of this attempted kidnapping of a Thai lady dive instructor is still a bit sketchy. I have yet to see any details of motive etc. I suppose it got a bit more attention due to the previous week's attacks on foreign women. Most violent attacks here are between business partners, with the odd contract shooting to solve a dispute. I seem to remember the last shooting death in Patong was between 2 motor bike taxi drivers having a dispute over territory.