Thaiway

True confirms 3G readiness

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

Being an IPhone geek, I love my Iphone which is meant for 3G. USA does not even have it right yet. Last trip to Thailand, True said they were testing it. Can't wait to test myself.

True Corporation, the parent company of the mobile operator True Move, has produced a well-prepared alternative funding source for its 3G investment with a strong financial backup from major shareholder CP Group.

"With cash of up to 9 billion baht plus annual cash flow of 7-8 billion baht and a variety of avenues of full funding including recapitalisation and a strategic-partner approach, True Move is financially ready for the 3G battle," said CEO Supachai Chearavanont.

True Move plans to spend 20 billion baht on its 3G network in the first three years with 90% population coverage.

"We will fight until the end, until the last breath, to win a 3G licence no matter how high the bid prices will go and with an unlimited budget," said Mr Supachai.

The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) has proposed a minimum reserve price for a licence for 10 MHz of 3G spectrum at 10 billion baht.

The regulator wants to call bids in mid-December and hopes to award four 3G licences by the end of this year. Three licences would be for 10 MHz each, and one for 15 MHz, which would cost more.

For the rest of the story:

http://bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/25723/true-confirms-3g-readiness