Thaiway

Our First Banned Member

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

We believe in a free flow of information and exchange of ideas and debate on this site. However, today I had to ban our first member. He was insistent on sending messages to other members degrading the site and trying to get them to another site which he considers more useful than this one. In fact all of his posts directed others to that site. I kindly sent him a PM and asked him to at least elaborate on the discussion at hand as opposed to just saying, "Look here" Obviously, some other sites may consider this site as competition or a threat. It is not meant at such. We are a non-commercial site trying to create an atmosphere of community and acceptance and to promote Thailand. We do not strive to make profit or to go commercial. We have no interests in getting into board wars with other sites. We feel we can offer some people a chance to have a good forum for discussions on issues that we all enjoy. We do advertise on other sites as a way to bring traffic to this site and so far we have been successful in getting around 1k plus visitors per day. We have not converted them into participants of the forum yet but we believe with time, many will come to make this their home.

I only wanted to bring this to your attention. Thank you all for participating here and for making this one of your homes!

I guess you can expect many more over the years.

In message board terminology people like that are known as trolls. There are enough trolls out there that the term came into existence a few years ago. This type of message board is not plagued with them very often, but sometimes they do come out of the woodwork. It's really not very much of a problem. Usually we deal with them by eliminating the offending posts and sending them a warning PM. If they strike again we place them on a mode by which their posts do not appear unless a moderator first approves the post. If even that doesn't stop them, then we ban them from the board entirely. With internet shops and IP scrambling software it is relatively easy for them to sneak in under a new name, but it doesn't take very long to figure out who they are and they are banned again.

I expect trolls will show up every once in a while, but we keep a close watch on the board and we will deal with them whenever they appear.

May we know who was banned, or is there some feature where we can find out. thanks.

I think once banned, their profile shows as banned. But, I think all of his posts were also deleted as all were just commercial links. So, I am not sure how to find it on the front end of the site.

I think once banned, their profile shows as banned. But, I think all of his posts were also deleted as all were just commercial links. So, I am not sure how to find it on the front end of the site.

I had a quick scout through the members list and I can't see any details about any member being banned. I see a REPUTATION bar. What does that mean.

I, for one, love the fact there is an attempt at reasonable moderation here. It makes the experience much more pleasant.

For the banned poster (I can guarantee you that the guy will come back to at least read this thread): glad you're gone, dickhead!

I, for one, love the fact there is an attempt at reasonable moderation here. It makes the experience much more pleasant.

For the banned poster (I can guarantee you that the guy will come back to at least read this thread): glad you're gone, dickhead!

Seems to me like there are not so many members or posts on this forum. Just wait until there are a lot more members, then the mayhem will be begin. I've seen that on many other forums and I just stop looking once that happens.

And is a description like 'dickhead' allowed on this forum. Seems a bit rude to me.

Just wait until there are a lot more members, then the mayhem will be begin. I've seen that on many other forums and I just stop looking once that happens.

As long as the moderators remain vigilant and as long as board users cooperate by reporting such things to us when they spot them, no troll posts will be here for very long.