Thaiway

KFC's 11 Herbs and Spices

Rate this topic

Thaimo

I found this online. I don't know if it is correct and nothing was said about how much flour to use with this recipe, but here it is.

KFC's 11 Herbs and Spices Recipe

— 1 teaspoon ground oregano

— 1 teaspoon chili powder

— 1 teaspoon ground sage

— 1 teaspoon dried basil

— 1 teaspoon dried marjoram

— 1 teaspoon pepper

— 2 teaspoons salt

— 2 tablespoons paprika

— 1 teaspoon onion salt

— 1 teaspoon garlic powder

— 2 tablespoons MSG

I can do without the MSG. I have heard it is not very good for you and 2 tablespoons seems to be quite too much.

Lvdkeyes, I have a question for you. I like KFC, but I am perfectly happy with my own way of preparing the flour for fried chicken. But I love the consistency and texture of KFC's breading for their 'original recipe.' I can never get my fried chicken to come out like that. What I do is mix some milk and an egg. I dip the chicken into it, roll it in my flour mixture, dip it a second time, and roll it again. Then I cook the chicken, covered and turning it once, on medium heat until each side is golden brown. What am I doing wrong? Do you know how to get that consistency and texture?

MSG is in more food than you would guess here in Thailand.

Monosodium glutamate is the sodium salt of glutamic acid. Glutamate is a naturally occurring amino acid that is found in nearly all foods, especially high protein foods such as dairy products, meat and fish and in many vegetables. Foods often used for their flavoring properties, such as mushrooms and tomatoes, have high levels of naturally occurring glutamate.

The human body also produces glutamate and it plays an essential role in normal body functioning.

Monosodium glutamate added to foods produces a flavoring function similar to the glutamate that occurs naturally in foods. It acts as a flavor enhancer and adds a fifth taste, called “umamiâ€, which is best described as a savory, broth-like or meaty taste.

Despite a small number of person reporting sensitivity to monosodium glutamate, scientific studies have not shown any direct link between monosodium glutamate and adverse reactions. Monosodium glutamate used to be blamed for the “Chinese Restaurant Syndrome†because the first anecdotal report was made following consumption of a Chinese meal and monosodium glutamate is widely used in Asian cooking. Symptoms said to be experienced included burning sensations along the back of the neck, chest tightness, nausea and sweating. However, a double-blind controlled challenge of individuals claiming to suffer from the “syndrome†failed to confirm monosodium glutamate as the causative agent. Other studies have found that allergic-type reactions after Asian meals are more often due to other ingredients such as shrimp, peanuts, spices and herbs.

If you think you are sensitive to monosodium glutamate or any other food ingredient, the best advice is to check with your doctor or with a dietitian.

You have the spices right. You can't get the same texture unless you have a pressure fryer, not an ordinary pressure cooker.

I see. I don't have a pressure fryer, so I guess the texture issue is out of the question for me.

What is your recommendation for the amount of flour to use with those ingredient amounts?

I hate the commercials here for a certain MSG product. They're zero-ing on the "umami" taste of the MSG. It says that umami is supposedly the "fifth taste", and is what makes the certain foods taste so great. It does, of course. But the problem is some people can't cook meals without MSG anymore.

I just reprimanded our househelp today because she asked me for money to buy a sachet of MSG to use for dinner. I told her to use salt and black pepper instead. She looked at me with a frown and insisted that her cooking would taste bad. I had to explain to her the negative effects of MSG and all.

That's what happens when the media simply provides people with one sided information.