Thaiway

Border Dispute with Cambodia Heating Up

Rate this topic

Wino

Phnom Penh - The Cambodian military has rejected recent Thai media reports that its soldiers have laid landmines in the disputed border region around Preah Vihear temple, local media reported Thursday.

A brigade commander stationed at the 11th-century Hindu temple said there was no reason to lay landmines, and said the comments amounted to standard provocation by Thailand.

"Cambodian soldiers are not laying landmines along the border," brigade commander Yim Phim told the Phnom Penh Post newspaper. "All the mines on the border were put there in the 80s and 90s."

His comments came after a recent article in Thailand's The Nation newspaper which alleged Cambodian troops were mining the contested area. If the allegation were true, it would be a breach of Cambodia's obligations under the Ottawa Convention, which among other things bans the use of landmines.

The article drew a furious response from the Cambodian ambassador to Thailand, who described the article as "extremely provocative" and "rabble-rousing" in a letter to the newspaper on Tuesday.

Preah Vihear temple and the area surrounding it have long been a source of friction between the two countries. The temple sits on Cambodia's northern border with Thailand, and was awarded to Cambodia in 1962 by the World Court,while the area around it remains disputed.

Last year the UN's cultural body UNESCO added Preah Vihear to its World Heritage List, a move that rankled Thai nationalists.

At least seven Cambodian and Thai soldiers have since died in occasional clashes around the temple complex. However, in late August both sides stood down troops and promised to find a peaceful solution to the issue.

-- The Nation 2009/10/09

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/

This is just another example of Toxin's dealings.

Actually, I thought Shinawatra had actually calmed things down prior to the coup. The whole issue has now been resurrected by the wacko Pad group (spell that: Sondhi Limongkul) and it's rather sad that the worthless Abhisit government doesn't have the balls to tell them to keep their nose out of it.

The UN has already spoken about the temple - it belongs to Cambodia - and, with respect to any minor land border issues in the area, you handle that calmly, diplomatically, and reasonably (which the current Thai government seems incapable of doing). For christ's sake, what's at stake is hardly worth a dispute with a neighboring country let alone a single injury or death.

As my bf explains it, the UN made its decision based on a map drawn up by the French. That part of Cambodia was Thailand during the reign of Rama V. Then the French got involved and drew up their version of the map. Toxin, after the coup, made a deal through Samat and Toxin's lawyer so that he could have some oil business dealings on some island. It is very complicated as most shady business dealings are.

Actually, the dispute was submitted to the International Court of Justice, the primary judicial body of the UN, by Cambodia in 1959. Both Cambodia and Thailand participated in the proceedings, each providing various pleadings, written arguments, replies, oral arguments and replies, etc. In 1962, the Court ruled in favor of Cambodia. As noted in the New York Times (Asia edition):

"In 1962 the International Court of Justice awarded the temple to Cambodia, based on a map prepared at the start of the century by colonial French rulers. Unesco referred to that map in designating the temple a World Heritage Site."

It appears that there were 7 judges and Cambodia won on a 4-3 vote.

It was that designation by UNESCO some years back (4-5?) that started the current dispute.

Thailand apparently chooses to ignore the World Court's decision as Thailand apparently doesn't like the final judgment (which, in my view, is rather chickenshit since both countries submitted the dispute to the World Court and agreed up front to abide by whatever decision was reached).

If you'd like to read the judgment (and majority and dissenting opinions), you can do that here: World Court Decision

I would note that I erred in saying that Cambodia won the dispute by a 4-3 vote. Apparently, there were several decisions in the final judgment and the judicial vote finding that the temple was within the sovereign territory of Cambodia was 9 to 3.

As my bf explains it, the UN made its decision based on a map drawn up by the French. That part of Cambodia was Thailand during the reign of Rama V. Then the French got involved and drew up their version of the map. Toxin, after the coup, made a deal through Samat and Toxin's lawyer so that he could have some oil business dealings on some island. It is very complicated as most shady business dealings are.

Any documentation? I wouldn't mind reading up on the issue.

As my bf explains it, the UN made its decision based on a map drawn up by the French. That part of Cambodia was Thailand during the reign of Rama V. Then the French got involved and drew up their version of the map.

I guess you blame the British for the Palestine problem and the Kashmir problem?