Thaiway

Windows 7 out Oct 22

Rate this topic

I been wanting a new laptop for a while, now. I thought it might be best to wait for the new operating system to come out. According to this article, it looks like it is almost here. I wonder how long it will take Microsoft to work out the bugs in Window 7?

by Walter S. Mossberg Thursday, October 8, 2009. Full story at http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107925/a-windows-to-help-you-forget?mod=career-worklife_balance

Microsoft's New Operating System Is Good Enough to Erase Bad Memory of Vista

In just two weeks, on Oct. 22, Microsoft's long operating-system nightmare will be over. The company will release Windows 7, a faster and much better operating system than the little-loved Windows Vista, which did a lot to harm both the company's reputation, and the productivity and blood pressure of its users. PC makers will rush to flood physical and online stores with new computers pre-loaded with Windows 7, and to offer the software to Vista owners who wish to upgrade.

I've used Vista since it came out and, frankly, haven't had any problems with it (other than a couple of my old programs never have worked well with Vista). And I'll probably switch over to the new operating system in a year or two (or when Microsoft quits supporting Vista).

Microsoft has quite the racket going. Issuing new and expensive operating systems that largely are patches for prior software that was terminally flawed. But, yea, I and a billion other people still use it and that helps pay for Gate's 60,000 square foot mansion in Washington state.

I've used Vista since it came out and, frankly, haven't had any problems with it

I have never really used Vista. I still use the old XP. From what I hear, seems many people have had problems with Vista. Reminds me of the Me operating system.

I have never really used Vista. I still use the old XP. From what I hear, seems many people have had problems with Vista. Reminds me of the Me operating system.

Actually, other than a few neat interfaces (which I never use anyway), works pretty much the way XP did. And I suspect Windows 7 (and Windows 2479) will do the same.

The thought entered my mind that I should consider the Apple operating system. My nephew and many others swear that Apple is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't know much about it but know it is expensive. Is it a case where you get what you pay for?

• 2 months later...

I've had Vista for 2 (maybe 3?) years this month and I've never had any significant problems with it. Guess there's no reason to change for now....but probably won't have any choice when I make my next laptop/desktop purchase (hopefully a year or more away).

I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it' type of person. I use Windows XP and have no problems with it. I'll upgrade to newer operating system only if and when the need arises. So far I have no reason to switch over to Windows 7, which of course will itself probably be obsolete in a year or so.