Thaiway

Briton survives bungee fall in Thailand

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

I have been to this place before and done a Bungee Jump there. I do remember signs outside of the place and waivers that gave away your rights in case of an accident. I am not sure what happened here but it all sounds like of fishy to me.

Briton survives bungee fall in Thailand

Fifty metres (165ft) above a Thai lagoon, ankles bound and secured to a bungee cord, Rishi Baveja shuffled to the edge of a small platform and threw himself off.

Horrifyingly, instead of the cord "bungeeing" the 22-year-old back up after unfurling, the harness securing his feet unravelled with disconcerting ease. An unsecured Baveja hit the water at 80mph (130kmh), sustaining injuries likened to those of a car crash victim.

Doctors told Baveja he was lucky to be alive after he took the force of the impact on his chest, suffering a ruptured spleen, torn liver, collapsed lungs and massive bruising. He spent a month in a Bangkok hospital following the jump on 30 July this year.

"I'm very lucky," he told the Daily Mail. "If I had landed head first I would be brain-damaged, or dead."

The Briton was in Phuket on a month-long trip to celebrate graduating from the University of Cambridge. He paid £50 to Jungle Bungy Jump, whose web page on a Phuket tourism site boasts that all activities are "accident free since June 14 1992".

Terry Pearce, the owner of Jungle Bungy Jump, said today it was the first accident the company had experienced in more than 140,000 jumps over 17 years.

"He didn't follow instructions," Pearce said. "He jumped with his feet first, panicked and kicked his way out of his harness. In 17 years we've never had anyone jump like that before."

He said Jungle Bungy Jump had purchased new which would make it "impossible" for anyone to come loose.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/05/briton-survives-bungee-fall-thailand

This guy is lucky to be alive. I have bungee jumped a couple of times over a pool. I was scared shitless the first time and it took me about 20 minute to get the courage to jump. After the first jump, it was a lot easier. I remember the staff member messing with me. The guy that was doing the harness work turned to the other staff member and said, "does that look ok, you know this is my first day on the job." At the time, I didn't see the humor in that.

I love how the owner of the place throws his injured customer under the bus...

"He didn't follow instructions," Pearce said. "He jumped with his feet first, panicked and kicked his way out of his harness. In 17 years we've never had anyone jump like that before."

As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid."

I have never had the courage to bungee jump and now I feel even less inclined.

I jumped about 12 years ago. It really gets the heart pumping. After the first jump is under your belt, it really is fun. Some might say it is thrilling, some might say crazy.

I love how the owner of the place throws his injured customer under the bus...

As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid."

Spot on. I was thinking the same thing. We should then conclude that if anyone who attempts a bungee jump and does not strictly follow instructions is likely to have a fatal accident.

does that mean that if he jumped head first he would have avoided the accident?

suppose the accident would still have happened regardless of whether he jumped head or feet first - he was lucky to have not followed instructions because jumping in head first in that accident would probably have made a vegetable out of him..

which brings me to another thing - i don't want to bungee jump - ever.

Spot on. I was thinking the same thing. We should then conclude that if anyone who attempts a bungee jump and does not strictly follow instructions is likely to have a fatal accident.

Exactly.

It should be impossible to kick your way out of the harness.

A guy who worked at my old office dies when his parachute didn't open (or open properly)

It's just odd that this outfit, or any others like it, would not make sure its equipment was idiot- and panic-proof. I mean, this can't be the first time a customer has panicked after jumping. I would imagine this probably happens quite a bit...like maybe one or two out of ever 10 customers probably panics to some extent at the point of the jump, or during the fall. So, is this owner saying that if you panic and squirm around, you're going to fall to your death? OK, fine...then put that on a big sign right at the entrance to your business.

When I jumped, it was with a company called AJ Hackett (I think). Any way it was an international company with outlets in many countries. They were very professional (except for that wisecrack about a new employee). I could not have removed my harness if I tried. Some of these fly-by-night outfits might be a lot different.