Thaiway

Member Rank Titles

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

We currently have them member ranks set to:

Newbie 0

Member 10

Advanced Member 30

We are looking for more creative names for the ranking of members. Suggestions are appreciated.

0-10

11-30

31-50

51-100

100-250

250-500

500-1000

1000 plus

We will also be having a contest that will be a great prize for those that obtain the 500 plus posts in the first year and another contest for those that obtain 1000 plus posts.

Lets have some creative ideas guys and gals!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Catholic and it wouldn't bother me.

Yes, but you're not the only Catholic. I think it's better to come up with a hierarchy list that has no potential to offend anyone. After all, suppose a hierarchy list is put into place and someone, or more than just someone, starts complaining. What happens then? The board would have to either ignore the complaints, tell the complainer 'tough luck,' or would still have to change the list to something else. I don't think any of those would be good options when an totally non-offensive list can be done at the outset.

Doesn't really matter to me how the owner wants to rank the posters. Unfortunately, at least in my experience on various boards, the number of posts for some posters is not directly proportional to the expertise or knowledge of that poster. A few attempt to present themselves as experts at everything, provide long-winded opinionated (too often non-factual) responses, somehow know that the world can't wait until they have spoken, and are simply aghast that somebody might not agree with them.

So, in general (and presuming anybody asked me.....they haven't), I'd prefer not to use ranking words that infer that more is better. Maybe just list new members as "newbes" and then, after they've made a certain number of posts, label them as "veterans" or some such neutral label that just shows they've been around for a while? In spite of all that, I'll ultimately chant Emily Latela's "never mind" as I realize that the web world doesn't think that way. The more traffic the better (and some even pay big money for numerous posts).

My comments aren't meant to take aim at this website as, so far, it looks like a very nice addition to the world of forums about Thailand. And reasonable moderation will likely keep it that way.