Thaiway

Student punished for spaghetti beliefs

Rate this topic

Desiree

Student punished for spaghetti beliefs

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Posted Image

The Flying Spaghetti Monster

A student has been suspended from school in America for coming to class dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Bryan Killian says that he follows the Pastafarian religion, and that as a crucial part of his faith, he must wear 'full pirate regalia' as prescribed in the holy texts of Pastafarianism.

The school, however, say that his pirate garb was disruptive.

Pastafarians follow the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pictured), and believe that the world was created by the touch of his noodly appendage. Furthermore, they acknowledge pirates as being 'absolute divine beings', and stress that the worldwide decline in the number of pirates has directly led to global warming.

Posted Image

A man in full pirate regalia Pastafarianism gained wide attention when its key prophet, Bobby Henderson, wrote to the Kansas School Board during the height of the controversy over 'Intelligent Design' being taught in science classes. His letter, also published on his website, demanded equal time be given to the teachings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as was given to ID and evolutionary theory.

Since then, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has gained countless followers worldwide, although there are those who remain spagnostic.

The school, in North Buncombe, North Carolina,remains adamant that their decision to suspend Killian for a day has nothing to do with his religion, and quite a lot to do with his repeated refusal to heed warnings against wearing pirate outfits.

Link: http://www.metro.co....72&in_page_id=2

They'd grab kids by the hair and smash their head against the blackboard. Chalk it up to sexual frustration.

The nuns in my school liked to use the ruler. A quick whack would really get your attention. Don't forget the brothers, as well. In high school, they could be as brutal as those nuns.

The nuns in my school liked to use the ruler. A quick whack would really get your attention. Don't forget the brothers, as well. In high school, they could be as brutal as those nuns.

Oh please don't forget making students kneel on salt or small mung beans. For ten minutes. While making them pray the rosary. Try kneeling on salt just to see how it feels!

It was damn near 50 years ago since I hung around those beastly penguins.....but just thinking about them still gives me the willies.

I can still remember our principal, Sister Mary Edna (a/k/a Hurricane Edna) lifting a friend of mine by the hair about a foot off the ground and slapping him silly. I would note, however, that my friend never again did smart off to the old bitch....hehe.

And, god, were those beasts ugly. I'm still traumatized by having seen a couple of them after their headgear flew off on the playground. Lovely facial hair though (come to think of it, some of them looked like my avatar to the left....).

Oh please don't forget making students kneel on salt or small mung beans. For ten minutes. While making them pray the rosary. Try kneeling on salt just to see how it feels!

In 8th grade we had a teacher make a student hold two dictionaries outstretched in each arm and hold it there for ten or twenty minutes. The offense was talking to another student in class.

Bob,

What order of nuns were they? At my school they were BVM's (Black Veiled Monsters). We had a Sister Mary Edna too who was a terror to 5th graders. I wonder if it was the same bitch. I had Sister May Albia in 6th grade who was even worse.

We had the Sisters of Mercy. Come to think of it, I don't recall experiencing any mercy from those old birds.

In 8th grade we had a teacher make a student hold two dictionaries outstretched in each arm and hold it there for ten or twenty minutes. The offense was talking to another student in class.

Oh man, that brings back bad memories! I went to a private parochial school -- fundamentalist Baptist, not Catholic -- and our 8th grade study hall monitor was a woman who never, and I mean never shaved her legs. Being adolescent boys, we started calling her Mrs. Bushwhacker behind her back...except for the day she was behind our backs and we didn't know it. I had no idea that dictionaries could be used as tools of torture until that day. We still called her Bushwhacker...but we made sure we looked around real good before we did.