Thaiway

Olympic Choice

Rate this topic

Wino

Madrid second.

Chicago eliminated in the first round of voting.

My mistake. A friend told me Chicago was second. Looks like the bodyguard businss will be booming in Rio or else everybody will be packing heat.

"the Rio Olympic organizing committee has set its budget at $2.82 billion, with another $11.1 billion going to related expenses such as transport, power and security." Full story at http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20091002/wl_time/08599192754300

Who pays for all of this? Is it at the taxpayer's expense?

I am thrilled as I love Rio and I know they will put on a great show. If you have never been to one of their Carnival's you are missing one of the world's greatest treats. It is simply amazing! I am sure Rio will do a fantastic job as the country will pull together to make sure the event shines.

I am thrilled as I love Rio and I know they will put on a great show. If you have never been to one of their Carnival's you are missing one of the world's greatest treats. It is simply amazing! I am sure Rio will do a fantastic job as the country will pull together to make sure the event shines.

I think Rio is a good choice. Nice that South America has a chance to show the world what they have to offer. Let's hope the country will pull it off without any hitches. I would love to visit Brazil but don't think carnival or the Olympics would be the best time for a virgin visitor to do the Rio experience.

I think Rio is a good choice. Nice that South America has a chance to show the world what they have to offer. Let's hope the country will pull it off without any hitches. I would love to visit Brazil but don't think carnival or the Olympics would be the best time for a virgin visitor to do the Rio experience.

Wrong. Those are the best times. More police. More security. Much safer. IMHO. Rio is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing and don't have money to take a taxi. If you are willing to spend 3 or 4 USD to get from one place to the next, you will be fine. I have been robbed at gunpoint in Brazil 2 times. Both times were places I should NOT have been and was told not to go there. I took my chances and lost. I won't make the same mistake again.

During Carnival and New Year's the atmosphere is amazing and the people are incredible. I'll try to find some old pics from these events to post.

Wrong. Those are the best times. More police. More security. Much safer. IMHO. Rio is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing and don't have money to take a taxi. If you are willing to spend 3 or 4 USD to get from one place to the next, you will be fine. I have been robbed at gunpoint in Brazil 2 times. Both times were places I should NOT have been and was told not to go there. I took my chances and lost. I won't make the same mistake again.

During Carnival and New Year's the atmosphere is amazing and the people are incredible. I'll try to find some old pics from these events to post.

Good to know. So are you saying if you stay in the right areas of town, you won't have any problems? Do you usually stay in serviced apartments or just a hotel. I like to go for a month or more some day, and really get to know the city.

Do you usually stay in serviced apartments or just a hotel.

If you find any apartments that come with servicing, let me know. ;)

I've always thought of Rio during Carnaval as one big near-orgy. Every time I see footage of it, there are topless women in g-strings everywhere, like a strip club parade. Michael, if this is anywhere close to true, let me know. If it isn't, please don't spoil my fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Rio can solve the drug related violence in time for the Olympics. They have a challenge.

By FLORA CHARNER, Associated Press Writer Flora Charner, Associated Press Writer RIO DE JANEIRO – Brazilian officials are insisting security won't be a problem for the 2016 Olympics, despite drug-gang violence that plunged Rio de Janeiro into a day of bloody chaos just two weeks after it was picked to host the games.

An hourslong firefight between rival gangs in one of the city's slums killed a dozen people, injured six and saw a police helicopter shot down and eight buses set on fire Saturday.

Two officers died and four were injured when bullets from the gang battle ripped into their helicopter hovering overhead, forcing it into a fiery crash landing on a soccer field. Gunfire on the ground killed 10 suspected gunmen and wounded two bystanders.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091018/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_brazil_violence

Looks like the authorities in Brazil are trying to begin cleaning up the gang violence. This from an article by Marcelo Soares and Chris Kraul.

"Rio de Janeiro police on Wednesday announced seven more deaths and 17 arrests as drug-fueled violence continued to sweep over parts of the city that this month was named to host the 2016 Olympics.

The death toll has risen to 33 since Saturday, when rival gangs launched a turf war for control of drug trafficking in several favelas, or shantytowns, interspersed among Rio's luxury hotels and residential areas.

Hundreds of Rio de Janeiro state police have been deployed in a bid to control the violence. Gov. Sergio Cabral has requested additional forces from the federal government.

The pressure is on local authorities to quell the violence as Rio begins its $14-billion preparations to host the Olympics in 2016, the first time the Games will be held in South America. Mayor Eduardo Paes is on a foreign trip to generate investment in the effort.

In awarding the Games to Rio instead of Chicago, Tokyo or Madrid, the International Olympic Committee made a leap of faith that Rio authorities would bring the city's sometimes horrendous crime under control."

http://www.latimes.c...nce22-2009oct22,0,3119375.story

• 3 weeks later...

Seems Rio is having a little problem with their electric power grid. Hope they resolve thing before 2016.

SAO PAULO (AFP) – Brazil on Wednesday sought to uncover the cause of a massive and mysterious blackout overnight, amid concerns of energy supply stability for the 2016 Olympic host nation.

The outage, which hit at 10:15 pm Tuesday (0015 GMT Wednesday) and lasted four to six hours, plunged nearly half the country into darkness.

http://news.yahoo.co...lenergyblackout

Seems Rio is having a little problem with their electric power grid. Hope they resolve thing before 2016.

SAO PAULO (AFP) – Brazil on Wednesday sought to uncover the cause of a massive and mysterious blackout overnight, amid concerns of energy supply stability for the 2016 Olympic host nation.

The outage, which hit at 10:15 pm Tuesday (0015 GMT Wednesday) and lasted four to six hours, plunged nearly half the country into darkness.

http://news.yahoo.co...lenergyblackout

Maybe somebody stole all the copper out of the power lines? :)