Thaiway

what do you love about Thailand?

Rate this topic

Well. Basic question. Some of you may be residing in Thailand. Some of you may have been born there, but may now be living somewhere else. Some of you may have been born and may have lived somewhere else for most of your life, but have chosen Thailand as your home. Or, some of you may have visited the country at least once, twice or a couple of times during you life. Or lastly, some of you may never have been to Thailand.

But all the same, we're here visiting this site. So tell me, what is it about Thailand that you love?

Well. Basic question. Some of you may be residing in Thailand. Some of you may have been born there, but may now be living somewhere else. Some of you may have been born and may have lived somewhere else for most of your life, but have chosen Thailand as your home. Or, some of you may have visited the country at least once, twice or a couple of times during you life. Or lastly, some of you may never have been to Thailand.

But all the same, we're here visiting this site. So tell me, what is it about Thailand that you love?

Friendly people.

Smiling all the time is akin to the power of positive thinking. :D

I love Thailand for many reasons. The lovely Thai people are high on the list but there are many other things. The weather is hot, butI like it much more than the cold of Europe and North America. The food is another reason. The cost of living is relatively cheap and your money usually goes a long way. And the list goes on.

I truly believe that Thailand is one of the greatest places in the world to ride a bicycle. You'll notice I said "Thailand", and not "Bangkok" even though you can get out on a bike and really enjoy yourself in Bangkok too if you know where to go. I lived in Bangkok for more than 3 years before I finally took one of those bicycle day tours that takes you across the river and it opened my eyes to a whole new side of Bangkok. Try My link or any one of the others offering tours over there daily - it will blow your mind. I personally still prefer to ride outside of Bangkok, and most of all Along the Beautiful Beaches of Prachuap Khiri Khan Province - Sea, Mountains, Farmland, and Nature at it's best.

Other things that make me Love Thailand are:

Cold Beer (well, I don't drink much anymore), Hot Women (I'm madly in love and engaged to be married but I still enjoy seeing beautiful women), Friendly Smiles (some may be fake, but better than frowns or snears), SEAFOOD!!!, Warm Weather Year Round, Some of my Favorite Foods in the Whole World, Fresh Fruits, Watermelon Year Round - and Shakes Too!, Mangos, Mangosteen, Lychee, Value for the Money, and True Freedom. America is supposed to be a "Free Country", but I have never had the freedoms that I do here, especially after 9/11.

Just wanted to share!

Cheers,

TdeA

Other things that make me Love Thailand are:

Cold Beer (well, I don't drink much anymore

I must be going to the wrong places. The beer usually is not cold enough for me. I sometimes have to order ice to go along with the brew.

I have to agree with all the other posts!! I love the friendliness of the people, the food, the cost of living, the weather (especially winter), the lifestyles, the shopping and also the Festivals. Nowhere in the World have I had as much fun as during Songkran and Loy Kratong. The students and general good behaviour also make it far better than the West.

and also the Festivals. Nowhere in the World have I had as much fun as during Songkran and Loy Kratong. The students and general good behaviour also make it far better than the West.

Good point. I forgot about all the celebrations. The Thais love to celebrate anything. They sure like to have a party. They celebrate three new years, the one on January 1, Chinese New Year, and Thai New Year. Seems there is always some occasion to celebrate. I also find younger people respectful of their elders. That is quite the contrast from the west.

What I love most about Thailand is it is not a sectarian country. All people are welcome here and no one asks you: "what is your religion?" "What is your name and where do you come from and which area do you live in so as to determine your religious background. All people are welcome here no matter where they come from and what religion they belong to.

Loy Krathong is my favorite. It's held on the night of November's full moon, this year November 2nd.

Loy Krathong is my favorite, too. On my first visit to Thailand, I thought it was so romantic for the young lovers to launch their little boats on the canals. I hope to visit Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai in the near future. I understand the festival is celebrated a little differently in the North.

In CM Loy Krathong lasts for 3 days with fireworks and lanterns. On the last night there is a huge street parade with beautifully colored and lighted krathong (floats). I was there last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pattaya is nice too with a pig roast on Dongtan Beach and lanterns. It is a bit more difficult to get your krathong to float out to sea than down the river in CM. Also, Pattaya doesn't have a parade.

In CM Loy Krathong lasts for 3 days with fireworks and lanterns. On the last night there is a huge street parade with beautifully colored and lighted krathong (floats). I was there last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ditto. The largest parade (from Taipae Gate to the Narawat bridge) is on the third night (on the actual Loy Krathong day, I believe) and consists of beautifully lit floats, bands, and whatnots. The number of lanterns being launched into the sky is amazing (and probably why you don't see many aircraft in the area that evening). Four weeks from Monday, I'll be floating my own krathong down the Ping.

The full moon is on November 2 of this year. Is the festival in Chiang Mai November 1, 2, and 3? I will probably not be able to attend the Chiang Mai festival this year, but am interested to know if the festival is the three days before the full moon. Thanks.

The full moon is on November 2 of this year. Is the festival in Chiang Mai November 1, 2, and 3? I will probably not be able to attend the Chiang Mai festival this year, but am interested to know if the festival is the three days before the full moon. Thanks.

The answer is "yes" but the big parade and biggest events at the Taipae Gate are on the 2nd. There are events each of the two nights before at Taipae Gate (and probably elsewhere but I've only gone to the gate area) and they do a very small parade each of those two evenings before.

Some people float their krathongs on the two evenings before but 90%+ of all activity occurs on the 2nd itself.

The answer is "yes" but the big parade and biggest events at the Taipae Gate are on the 2nd. There are events each of the two nights before at Taipae Gate (and probably elsewhere but I've only gone to the gate area) and they do a very small parade each of those two evenings before.

Some people float their krathongs on the two evenings before but 90%+ of all activity occurs on the 2nd itself.

Thanks for that. I hope to make it there, one day. I would also like to go to the Elephant Roundup in Surin. I have heard good reports on the Candle Parade in Ubon, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to go to Thailand and meet the people. I will be in one of those festivals where to satiate myself with Thai food, which I will never get enough of, bike on the streets, walk dreamily along the beach, paint the sights in my mind, respond graciously to all the smiles, dream under the Thai moon, and become an entirely new Filipino person enriched the Thai way.

I would love to go to Thailand and meet the people. I will be in one of those festivals where to satiate myself with Thai food, which I will never get enough of, bike on the streets, walk dreamily along the beach, paint the sights in my mind, respond graciously to all the smiles, dream under the Thai moon, and become an entirely new Filipino person enriched the Thai way.

Sounds good. I hope your dream comes true. Be careful when you bike on the streets, the traffic in some places is terrible.