Thaiway

Tropical Fruit Salad

Rate this topic

eleothegreat

We usually have Fruit Salad for dessert during parties and events. You might want to try this as well.

1 big serving bowl of Mixed fruits cut into bite size pieces. Some common fruits are papaya/pawpaw, mangoes, bananas, pineapples boiled in sugar and water, avocados and lychees. Or you can simply use a huge can of fruit cocktail in syrup.

2 small bottle of nata de coco (red and green)

1 small bottle of kaong

2 cups of heavy cream or all purpose cream

3/4 cup of condensed milk

2 cups of grated coconut meat (buko)

1. Wash and drain the fruits (fresh/canned).

2. Drain the bottles of nata de coco and kaong.

3. Mix the fruits, nata de coco and kaong together in a large serving bowl

3. Mix in the grated coconut as well.

4. In a separate bowl, take the heavy cream and pour in half of the condensed milk. mix them together. Check the taste for desired sweetness. Add in more condensed milk to achieve desired sweetness.

5. Pour the cream and milk mixture on the fruits and mix them together.

6. Chill or freeze the fruit salad mixture and take out to serve.

You can also serve the fruit salad individually in little cups or goblets. Top with whipped cream and a cherry. :)

Thanks for posting it. This is the recipe I use:

Filipino Fruit Salad

4 large cans fruit cocktail (Del Monte is preferred), drained

1 large can crushed pineapple, drained

3 bottles Kaong, drained

3 bottles Nata De Cocoa

1 can Nestle cream

4 packages frozen young coconut, thawed

3-8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened

2 large cans whipped cream cheese

1 can Borden’s Eagle Brand milk or other sweetened condensed milk

Mix all together in a large mixing bowl. Serve cold or portion in individual containers and freeze. Serve is partially frozen.

LOL, It is mostly white with some bits of color from the fruit cocktail. Hardly worth taking a picture, but well worth the taste. The Filipina who gave me the recipe had a catering business and did mostly Filipino parties. She said it was one of her most requested dishes. I can vouch for the taste.

Hahaha! I know. The Kaong, the nata de coco and the fruits just add to the color. Glad you like it. You can also try using fresh fruits instead of the ones from the can. Add in avocado/lychees/bananas aside from the usual mangoes, papayas and pineapples. It tastes a whole lot different - but good, nevertheless, especially if you're a tropical fruit fan.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like Papaya as well. When I recently gave birth, the doctor told me to load up on papayas so as to avoid constipation. I had my husband go out and buy prunes, but they still forced me to eat papaya, so I had it chilled, and I topped it with some condensed milk. But still, I REALLY DONT like papaya. Unless its the canned or pickled type. Fresh papaya - yuck. Worse than durian. Hahaha.

We have durian in the refrigerator now (hahaha! my grandfather has a durian farm and they recently harvested ripe durians) I love the small variety, it's much more sweeter than the bigger ones.

We had around three durian fruits peeled, the edible parts placed inside an air tight container in the fridge. You can't smell a thing. I suppose fruit salad would be horrendous if it had durian in it. LOL

Durian will never find its way into my house. Even walking past it in the market makes me gag.

Two years ago Thailand released a supposedly odorless durian to Thai growers. It will take several years before the fruits reach the markets because it takes young durian trees 7 to 20 years before they start producing fruit.