Thaiway

Has Thailand made progress? Thaksin taunts

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

"I would like both my admirers and haters to think what good has been done over the past three years. Has the economy improved? What about justice and human rights? And is there fair treatment for bureaucrats?" Thaksin asked.

"They accuse me of interfering with independent organisations, and what about the situation these days? They accused me of interfering in the mass media and what's going on today?" he said during his speech.

"See you in Thailand soon," he said to conclude his video-link broadcast to red-shirt supporters at their anti-government rally at the Royal Plaza.

Earlier, the former premier posted a new Twitter message asking the coup leaders and Thais to analyse if the country was in a better shape three years after the coup toppled his government.

"They accused me of not being loyal [to the monarchy], interfering in the media, the independ-ent agencies and failing to solve problems in the three southern border provinces and causing national divisions. Today, are these problems getting solved and is there an improvement?" his message said. -The Nation/ANN

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20090920-168901.html

Hear!! Hear!! I tried very hard after I came to Thailand to stay out of politics but anyone can see Thailand was much better off under his command. We wouldn't have the Skytrain or the new Airport if it wasn't for his forward thinking!! So what if he was corrupt - find me a politician who isn't. We were better off!!

Thaksin seems to not have had much to do with the BTS being built. It was started in 1999. Thaksin was PM 2001-2006. The system is formally known as the Elevated Train in Commemoration of HM the King's 6th Cycle Birthday. That would be the King's 60th Birthday, since he is 81 now that indicates it was planned 21 years ago. Thaksin didn't even enter politics until 1994.