Thaiway

Some interesting facts about Thailand

Rate this topic

MIA

I have to echo what Beer Chang said about Katrina. The situation you are describing in the Philippines sounds very much like the federal response, or lack thereof, to Hurricane Katrina. Delaying the decision to evacuate until the last minute, sending survivors to undersized and ill-equipped shelters and failing to respond quickly with proper supplies cost more than 1,500 lives. If not for the hard work of the US Coast Guard -- the one federal organization that responded with efficiency and competence -- in rescuing more than 35,000 people, the number of dead would have been much higher.

Hopefully, once it's all sorted out, there will be more justice meted out for the people of the Philippines than the people of New Orleans and the U.S. got after Katrina. So Michael Brown lost his job and Kathleen Blanco decided not to see re-election as governor. Woo hoo, justice served! I'm sure the families of all the dead feel much better. I'll never understand how that idiot Ray Nagin managed to get re-elected in '06. I think a lot of the deaths in New Orleans can be laid directly at his feet for his waffling on the evac order.

Eleothegreat: One caution on giving money to aid the victims of the flooding. In the wake of Katrina and after the 2004 tsunami hit Asia, there were all kinds of scam artists (see here and here ) popping up to solicit money, ostensibly to pass on to the Red Cross, but in fact, they were stealing it. Not saying that's the case with those linked above, just noting that generally, it's better to give directly to the Red Cross or other relief agencies than to groups promising to pass on donations.

Eleothegreat: One caution on giving money to aid the victims of the flooding. In the wake of Katrina and after the 2004 tsunami hit Asia, there were all kinds of scam artists (see here and here ) popping up to solicit money, ostensibly to pass on to the Red Cross, but in fact, they were stealing it. Not saying that's the case with those linked above, just noting that generally, it's better to give directly to the Red Cross or other relief agencies than to groups promising to pass on donations.

Good point, WannaGo. I find it best to give directly. Scam artists are everywhere (sometimes I think Thailand has more than it's fair share). This scum are some of the lowest of the low.

Hard to believe that Thai's would enforce work permit rules in a time of disaster. Makes no sense. I have also heard that some native English speakers wanted to volunteer to help with English classes in a Thai school. No can do without a work permit. Is that crazy?

Makes no sense.

There is a common oxymoron used by a great many foreigners in Thailand. "Thai logic." There is so much that makes no apparent sense to us. The examples posted in this thread are only a few on a very long list. Many of us who reside in Thailand gave up long ago trying to understand why they do these things the way they do, but if you are going to be in Thailand for any appreciable length of time you better get used to it. I no longer get frustrated by any of it. I just laugh, shrug my shoulders, and accept Thailand for the way it is.

I will give you another Thai logic example and I challenge you to figure it out. I don't know if this applies to all of Thailand, but in Pattaya you can buy liquor whenever you wish, but you cannot buy liquor between 2pm and 5pm.

I don't even try to understand these things anymore.

That's the logic

Or lack of same. I wonder what he thought would prevent kids who want buy liquor from simply buying it the day before or on their way to school in the morning. I wonder why the rule did not provide for adults being able to buy liquor when they wish and if there is any question about the age of the customer, just require them to show ID.

Kids are cunning. If they really want liquor they'll find a way to get it, with or without such restrictions.

Good point, WannaGo. I find it best to give directly. Scam artists are everywhere (sometimes I think Thailand has more than it's fair share). This scum are some of the lowest of the low.

yes, aside from scam artists, there are some other lowlifes taking advantage of the situation, stores and individuals selling cans of sardines and packs of noodles (the usual staple that evacuees can afford to buy and eat in times of crisis) at three to four times the price. Of course people are forced to buy even if the prices sky rocket since they're all homeless and hungry! Tsk tsk.

I am from the PI. One may not want to live in the Philippines because of the mad condition of corruption here but you may reconsider to visit and find out how its being lived and compare it with your own. I am kidding. ;) But you can visit you know that.