Thaiway

How to say "I Love You" in Thai language

Rate this topic

MIA

You have just won over the heart of a lovely Thai woman. What next? If you have tried English and it doesn't seem to work, what other way you can try to express your love for her. How about telling her that you find her extremely beautiful and sexy? ;-)

How can you impress your Thai woman so that you can retain her love forever? Here's the help.

We all know that Thai language is difficult for Americans, but this doesn't stop you from reciting some useful Thai phrases, which can help you a lot while dating a Thai woman. Listed below are some important phrases that will help you impress your Thai love and also tell her how special she is:

=> tee rak - sweetheart or darling

=> khun suay mak - You are very beautiful

=> khun na-ruk mak - You are very cute

=> khun chorp pom reu blao - Do you like me? (For yes she will say “chorp†and for no she will say “mai chorp“)

=> chan rak khun - I love you

=> pom kit teung khun - I miss you

=> khun mee faen reu yung - Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend? (For yes, she will say “mee†and for no “mai mee“)

=> joop dai mai - Can I kiss you?

=> khun keu yot ruk kong pom - You are my sweetheart

Watch this space for more useful phrases and tips. Afterall, the language should not be a barrier when it comes to express your love for your Thai girlfriend.

• chan rak khun - I love you

That is close to correct, but not quite. Chan is normally spoken by a female. Pom is spoken by a male. It should be Pom rak khun.

Here's one that will make you sound like a native. It means 'I can't live without you.' Pom yoo mai dai tah mai mee khun.

That is close to correct, but not quite. Chan is normally spoken by a female. Pom is spoken by a male. It should be Pom rak khun.

That's the way I've learned it too; however, I hear the "chan" spoken many times by male speakers. And, if you're familiar with Thai pop/rock music, it's almost always "chan" when spoken (sung) by male singers.

My bf says chan is ok, but it is better to use pom.

Chan is used mainly by females and lady-boys. The vast majority of males will use Pom. Quite a number of them leave out Chan and Pom entirely and will simply say 'rak khun.'

Would you like to be even more confused? You will also hear 'rak ter.' 'Rak khun' is more formal and 'rak ter' is less formal, but both mean the same thing.

Better still, along with 'chan' you will often hear 'dee chan.' Same as chan.

It's ok, though. When the language gets confusing enough we can all run screaming into the streets while pulling our hair out. Oh, by the way, the word pom can also mean 'hair,' but only the hair on top of your head . . . unless of course you mean carpeting. Pom is also the word for carpet. Excuse me, but I feel a need to scream now. Arrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

I'll have to take Bob's word for what singers use. I don't listen to Thai music very often.

• 1 month later...

You are an interesting tutor, Thaimo, and the scream is quite a style. LOL I wrote down your I can't live without you-thing. I might need it in the future.

How do you speak and write in Thai, anyway. Do you pronounce the letters the way they are pronounced in English?

Thais us a different alphabet than westerners. Here are some random letters: สน่่หà¸à¸£à¹‰à¸£à¸±à¸£à¸à¸”่่ไทืรำà¹à¸•à¸·à¸”น I don't read, write or speak Thai, so the letters I just typed don't have any meaning. When Thais is transliterated into western alphabet the spelling can vary greatly. TH is pronounced like western T with a breathy sound after it, not like we pronounce it. PH is similarly not pronounced as we do. Phuket is not pronounced as Fucket, but rather as Pooket with the breathy sound. R's are often pronounced as L's and L's as R's.

Thai is a very difficult language to learn, at least for me. I have heard that Spanish is the easiest language for English speakers to learn, but not sure that is true. I took both French and Spanish in school and found Spanish easier for me.