Thaiway

Big Events

Rate this topic

MidTMike

There are many big events in one's life. For me, when I turned 18, it was huge. I felt like an adult. When I graduated from university, that was another big event. Now, I am pretty set in life.

Staying in Thailand for long periods of time, there are many events that I look forward to each year. Perhaps my favorite event in Thailand is Songkran. That is the Thai holiday where people come out for a huge celebration of the start of rainy season. I just love all the water fights and smiles!

What are other events in your life you find a "big?" Or, what is your favorite event in Thailand?

What are other events in your life you find a "big?" Or, what is your favorite event in Thailand?

In Thailand my two favorite events are the Loy Kratong and Songkran holidays. Many foreigners dislike Songkran because of the water splashing, but I get big kick out of it. I don't do any of the splashing, but I don't mind getting splashed. Many people do, but I just put my personal items in a ziplock bag, wear old clothes, and off I go!

Lifetime events? I've had many of those, but I would say, most appropriately for this board, mine would be the day I retired and got on the plane to come to Thailand permanently.

Big events for me were joining the Army and going to the Persian Gulf (for the first one), moving to a big city (Miami) by myself, far away from anyone I knew, and hitting 30 several years ago. Now 40 is right around the corner, and I'm feeling the dread BIG time.

Big events in my future: Finally saving enough that I can take some time off and do the traveling I want to do. My plan is to do Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Taiwan), then Australia and New Zealand, and then off to Central America.

What is this splashing you guys are talking about?

Ha! I saw the Songkran videos. That looks like a blast! Although, if I was riding a scooter and someone suddenly threw water in my face and made me crash, I might be a little peeved. But still...it's very cool that you can have a holiday where people are so carefree and just having fun. And from what I could tell in the reading I did, the tossing of the water is actually supposed to represent bestowing a blessing and providing cleansing, so it's done in a good spirit. That's amazing. Try something like that in the States and it would turn into an ugly brawl or some kind of sexual assault. When I go, I may have to time it so I can visit in April. Thanks for telling us about this!

Biggest event in my life was when I was sent to England by my "Uncle Sam" for three years. It was and still is the biggest event for me because it was so life changing. Moving to Thailand was also big, but I had been here many times, so I knew what to expect, unlike when I went to England. Also, my 21st birthday, which was spent on a ship sailing from Italy to Greece.

Yes, I was. I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath from 1962 to 1965.

Hey, I'd missed your reply. Never been to the UK. Not high on my list, but I'd like to visit at least once. Hottest Air Force sergeant I ever knew was a woman stationed at Lakenheath in the early 90s. I met her on a vacation junket in Germany for service members and spent an whole week trying to hook up with her, to no avail.