Thaiway

The myth of 'royal' Thai cuisine

Rate this topic

CrazyExpat

Most people who frequent Thai restaurants, whether in Bangkok or elsewhere in the world, feel that the words “royal Thai cuisine” convey some mystical feeling of Thai food being cooked differently.

And that’s exactly how the restaurants want you to feel.

But in reality, royal Thai cuisine -- as it is advertised to unsuspecting Thais and foreigners alike -- is just a marketing tool that allows them to charge more. By saying they're cooking dishes that were once only served to royalty, they are attempting to set themselves apart from the thousands of street stalls that serve regular but often just as delicious Thai cuisine.

I can say with a fair bit of certainty that I know what “royal” Thai cuisine is, having been brought up eating it while growing up in the palace with my great aunt Queen Rambhi Barni.

Firstly, the dishes are no different from those that most Thais eat in their homes. Royal cuisine includes soups like tom yum goong, curries like green chicken and everything else that your average Thai Joe would eat.

That said, there are some differences –- few of which are on offer at restaurants purporting to sell royal Thai cuisine -- but they all relate to the way that the food is prepared and served.

Aesthetics and extremes

Only the best and freshest ingredients are used in making royal Thai food. Furthermore, there are no extremes in flavors which means not too hot, not too salty, not too sour and not too spicy. Everything is balanced.

Read more: Chef McDang: The myth of 'royal' Thai cuisine | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/eat/chef-mcdang-myth-royal-thai-cuisine-655324#ixzz1XWs0Z1kz

• 2 months later...
Guest Marshal

I always enjoy their Lahb salad. Beef or chicken with lime, mint, and onions.

Lahb's one of my standard, favorite Thai orders here in America. While visiting Thailand several years ago, I was interested to find their authentic versions were actually quite close to what I'd always had here in the US (albeit a bit fresher/brighter due to the freshly ground spices and local limes). Royal Thai usually does a good version, though. I, personally, prefer the beef. Still haven't made it to Bambu- it's on my list!

Added bonus- it's a light, fresh meal and great for summer. Not as heavy as a curry.