Thaiway

Ted Kennedy's Senate Seat

Rate this topic

Wino

What do you think the chances are of Democratic canidate, Martha Coakly losing to GOP canidate Scott Brown? Some say this special election in Massachusetts is very close. This 60th vote is needed to pass the health-care reform bill.

What do you think the chances are of Democratic canidate, Martha Coakly losing to GOP canidate Scott Brown? Some say this special election in Massachusetts is very close. This 60th vote is needed to pass the health-care reform bill.

Some say ??? Have a look at the various polls. They are ALL showing a close vote, some show Brown up a few points, other show Coakly up a few points. Now that the media have highlighted this situation I expect that the Democratic voters will turn out in force and Coakly should win. BUT what an upset if Brown did win. I will be watching the result with great interest.

I don't think there is a chance the Repubs will win in MA, but time will tell.

Au contraire. If Obama and Clinton and others wouldn't have made these last ditch efforts, the polls reflected that she surely would have lost. We'll know tomorrow who wins/loses.

Rather difficult to explain how the same state that elected Teddy Kennedy so many times also would vote for either Romney or any Republican. But it's happened before and will happen again. Inexplicable to me as Massachusetts isn't generally thought of as a swing state.

Correct me if I am wrong . . . . 60 votes to end a filibuster, a simple majority to pass a bill. . . . .

Correct me if I am wrong . . . . 60 votes to end a filibuster, a simple majority to pass a bill. . . . .

Correct. 60 votes to end a filibuster (debate) in the Senate (without the 60 votes to end it, nobody's voting on that bill ever). Presuming a filibuster is ended by 60+ votes, then the bill rises or falls on a majority vote (and, if it's 50/50, the President of the Senate - Joe Biden - gets to vote).

House rules are different and a simple majority can ultimately jam something through.

I don't think there is a chance the Repubs will win in MA, but time will tell.

You might want to reconsider that. At this time 84% of votes counted. Looks like Brown is winning, maybe won ... :)

Edit update FOX News report claims that Brown is the winner. Coakley has conceded.

I could care about Brown or Coakley personally but I'm afraid that the win by Brown means the total defeat of any attempt to revise the health-care system in the United States, an effort that's been underway since Teddy Roosevelt. A real shame in my view.

Brown, like other Republicans, say they want to include all Americans under health plans by doing it a "better" way. That "better" way, to them, is to do absolutely nothing at all to change anything of substance.

I am sorry to see what looks like the end to health care reform. It is about time America cover most or all of its citizens. Even if it does not benefit me, I still think a rich nation like the US should have a health plan to cover all the people.

I am sorry to see what looks like the end to health care reform. It is about time America cover most or all of its citizens. Even if it does not benefit me, I still think a rich nation like the US should have a health plan to cover all the people.

I'm with you, wino. Once in a while, I can look past my own pocketbook - and it's tragic that it's the "working poor" have no insurance and only ever see a doctor in the emergency room of a hospital.

I guess I'm not willing to look past my own pocketbook. It's crazy that someone living in Thailand has to take a flight home to be covered by Medicare.

Those are the rules. When deciding to retire to Thailand, you have to factor in the cost of health care insurance unless you want to take the risk of having problems. Many retirees decide to move to Mexico because of the close proximity to the US.

• 2 weeks later...

A 'rich nation' ... hmmm looking at the US government published data seems to me like a 'indebted nation'. I don't doubt that the US is a rich nation, but the national debt seems to be heading the wrong way, at an alarming rate. Time for the government to WAKE UP.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with you BC. I paid God only knows how much into Medicare for 36 years and cannot use the "benefit".

You are lucky you are able to collect your social security overseas. I have heard in some countries, if you are not in the country the majority of the year, the government lowers your benefit.