Thaiway

Rate this topic

Beer Chang

But aren't DVDs of brand new movies often poor quality?

Not the ones I've bought (i.e., so far, the quality has been excellent). I realize I probably shouldn't do that (I guess it's technically illegal) but it's so open and obvious here in Thailand. I'm not talking only about the few dudes at the night markets that somewhat secretly sell them, I'm talking about multiple out-in-the-open vendors at some of the major malls. I usually get 6 for 500 baht.

Holy smokes...that's about $18, right? For a movie?

That's about $18 each. Even with free popcorn and drinks, that is too much money for a movie in Thailand. I bet they never have a crowd in that section.

I rarely go to the movies anymore. It just seems such a waste to spend $8 for a ticket, another $8 for a drink and popcorn, and then not be able to enjoy the movie because there's always some loud jackasses talking, or using their cell phones, or somebody's baby is crying. I'd rather just wait for the movie to come out on DVD and watch it in the comfort (and quiet) of my own home.

I think DVDs are generally a waste of money too.

A friend has given me some of his old DVD's. Many of them are of such bad quality that you cannot understand what is going on. In those cases, the DVD's are definitely a waste of time and money.

I think DVDs are generally a waste of money too.

I haven't bought a DVD in probably five or six years. I get all the DVDs I can watch from Netflix for $29 a month. If I find one that I really like, I just use DVD Shrink or DVDFab to make a copy of it.

I enjoyed the movie. It was not brilliant but the graphics were great and I was interested in the story the whole time. It is fun to watch. IMHO

Looking forward to seeing it. I'm a big fan of John Cusack, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Oliver Platt.