Thaiway

Mini Skirt Woman in Brazil

Rate this topic

Wino

What a bunch of nonsense. This 20 year old Brazilian woman is expelled from university because she wore a pink mini dress to class. Now she has been reinstated. In a country known for the string bikinis on the beach and the scantily clad carnival costumes, this issue seems crazy to me.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/08/geisy-arruda-brazil-stude_n_350217.html&cp

While this particular case may not have merited expulsion, I have no problem at all with school, work, etc., dress codes. I'm from a resort city on the great lakes and it's perfectly acceptable for a 16 or 20 year old to wear a string bikini on the beach; however, it's totally unacceptable to wear the same or a similar outfit downtown, at the mall, or at school.

Some kids dress like tramps and one wonders what, if anything, their parents are thinking.

I agree any beachwear would be unacceptable in a classroom. I even think it is silly to go shirtless and shorts in a shopping mall. What I don't understand is the reaction to a mini shirt in a college campus situation.

Someone ought to enlighten the farang in Pattaya that going shirtless or in beach wear other than on the beach is unacceptable for Thais. I saw a guy a couple of days ago walking down Thrappaya Road wearing only a speedo. Also, European women who go topless on the beach are offensive to Thais.

This 20 year old Brazilian woman is expelled from university because she wore a pink mini dress to class.

I wouldn't want her in my class...I'd never hear a word the prof had to say.

I even think it is silly to go shirtless and shorts in a shopping mall.

There are so many rednecks where I live, the bailiffs had to put up a sign at the courthouse warning people they could not enter if they weren't wearing shoes or shirts.

I had mentioned the story about my sister-in-law who worked for the Secretary of State. She was branch manager for a chunk of her career and I remember her repeatedly telling stories about the slobs that would come into the office to renew their license or whatever.

One story was some woman about 30 in a halter top was up at the window, fumbling around with some paperwork, and one of her boobs flopped out on the counter. She simply kept playing with her paperwork and my sister-in-law had to say: "Madam, could you put that thing back in your shirt!?!" With a snotty look, she proceeded to do that as if she was putting her wallet back in her purse.

I also heard many stories about slob guys coming in with very short shorts (some nothing more than rags) with underwear and body parts hanging out below....

Walking Street minis are often no wider than a belt. Posted Image

We see mini shirts and skimpy outfits in many places. A Brazilian college campus is probably not the best place to wear a mini, but come on, it is part of life. The near riot reaction to the mini shirt is mind boggling.

As I recall in the US many establishments have signs that read, "NO SHIRT, NO SHOES. NO SERVICE."

Yeah, I'm not surprised when I see some yahoo wandering into a restaurant or a store shirtless or shoeless...but I have a hard time wrapping my head about the idea of a person too ignorant to realize he shouldn't show up at the courthouse without a shirt on.

Yeah, I'm not surprised when I see some yahoo wandering into a restaurant or a store shirtless or shoeless...but I have a hard time wrapping my head about the idea of a person too ignorant to realize he shouldn't show up at the courthouse without a shirt on.

A guy showing up to the courthouse has to be raised under some rock or by she-wolves. It is bad enough that the bailiff has to tell guys to take off their ball caps.

Looks like the incident is giving this student fame in Brazil and maybe a well-trained security guard, as well?

By ALAN CLENDENNING, Associated Press

SAO PAULO – Brushing back freshly dyed blond hair as she posed for pictures, the Brazilian woman whose short pink dress got her kicked out of college said Tuesday she's enjoying her newfound fame, but wants go back to school — with a security guard.

Just the day before, 20-year-old Geisy Arruda took her first trip on an airplane so she could relive her experience in a comedy skit on one of Brazil's most popular television shows.

Star-struck business executives on the flight to Rio de Janeiro asked if she really was Geisy, then used their cell phones to snap pictures of themselves with her.

It was heady stuff for a 20-year-old freshman from a blue-collar industrial suburb who says she just wants to get a tourism degree so she can fulfill dreams of working for a resort or a cruise line someday.

She'd already appeared on two of Brazil's top interview programs, recounting how she was hounded from the campus of Bandeirantes University in October by male students yelling "Whore! Whore!" and was then expelled by school officials.

The private university, which doesn't have a conservative reputation, backtracked amid a national uproar and said last week she was welcome to return for her regular routine of night classes.

But Arruda's lawyer says she won't go back until she's promised a well-trained security guard to accompany her on campus.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091117/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_brazil_short_dress

• 3 months later...

Now the Brazilians are going after Paris Hiltion because of a beer commercial.

By BRADLEY BROOKS, Associated Press Writer RIO DE JANEIRO – Paris Hilton is giving blondes a bad name.So says Brazil's Secretariat for Women's Affairs, which wants a sultry beer commercial starring the hotel heiress, model and actor off the air.

The ad features Hilton in a short black dress preening and rubbing a can of Devassa beer on herself, to the delight of onlookers watching through her window.

The commercial isn't very explicit — especially in a land where postage-stamp-size bikinis are ubiquitous. But Brazil's regulations say beer commercials cannot treat women as overtly sensual objects.

"It's an ad that devalues women — in particular, blond women," according to a spokeswoman for the Women's Secretariat who said it received numerous complaints. She spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because she was not free to discuss the case

Paris Hilton too hot for Brazil? Gov't protests - Yahoo! News