Thaiway

Lost Data.

Rate this topic

Wino

I would be in a bad situation if this happened to my cell phone.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Users of Microsoft Corp's Sidekick mobile phone may have permanently lost data such as contacts, photos and calendar entries due to the failure of a Microsoft server computer.

Full story at http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/20091012/tc_nm/us_tmobileusa_microsoft

It's a good idea to back up data from your cell phone to you computer.

How do you do that? Unless I do it by hand, I don't think my phone can talk to my computer. If it can, I do not have a connection that I know of.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you do that? Unless I do it by hand, I don't think my phone can talk to my computer. If it can, I do not have a connection that I know of.

Yea, I'd like to know that too. I do have a cable that connects my phone to my computer's USB port and I can download some music to the phone memory card (I think the one I have is a couple of gigs). But I've never tried it the other way (I don't know if I could transfer phone memory card data back to the computer or other internal phone data to the computer). Any geeks out there?

• 4 weeks later...

Nice that T-Mobile gave a $100 gift card to the customers that lost data. Here is an update.

NEW YORK - T-Mobile USA resumed selling Sidekick phones Tuesday, more than a month after a server meltdown at Microsoft Corp. caused contact numbers, pictures and other personal information to disappear from many of the phones.

In the intervening time, Microsoft managed to restore most of the missing user data. T-Mobile provided $100 gift cards to affected customers.

The Sidekicks listed on T-Mobile's Web site are now slightly cheaper. For instance, the top-of-the-line LX model is now $150, down from $175.

Unlike most phones, Sidekicks can lose all personal data when the batteries run down. The data is then restored from Microsoft's servers over the wireless network. When the servers went down in early October, Sidekicks lost e-mail and Web access, and phones that ran down their batteries or were reset lost all personal data.

Microsoft bought Danger Inc., the maker of the Sidekick, last year in an attempt to revitalize its own "smart" phone software portfolio. T-Mobile is part of Deutsche Telekom AG.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20091117/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_t_mobile_sidekick