Thaiway

Kate Langston's Strawberry Pie

Rate this topic

Thaimo

Kate Langston is a true southern belle from the southern Georgia area in the USA. She gave me this simple recipe many years ago and people love it when I make it.

Ingredients:

1 pie shell

fresh strawberries, enough to fill the pie shell and extra for garnishing.

3 cups water

whipped cream

3 tablespoons strawberry jello

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons corn starch

Fill a pie shell with fresh strawberries, whole, sliced, or a combination of whole and sliced.

mix the sugar and jello together in a pot with 2 and a half cups of water and bring to a rolling boil.

mix the cornstarch with the remaining water and slowly add to the boiling mixture, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.

Let the thickened mixture cool enough so that it won't cook the fresh strawberries, then pour the mixture over the strawberries until the pie shell is filled.

Refrigerate the pie.

Just before serving, cover the pie with whipped cream and garnish with the remaining strawberries.

I've tried this with other fruits and mixtures of various fruits, with appropriately flavored jellos. Those come out well too, but Kate's original strawberry pie recipe is my favorite.

are frozen strawberries okay to use?

I don't know. I've only tried it with fresh strawberries. I suppose you could try it with frozen strawberries. Maybe you will like it that way, but I think fresh is probably much better. Also, I think I should mention that Kate would always use whole strawberries when she made the pie herself. She never sliced them. She also sweetened the whipped cream, but only slightly because the pie itself is very sweet.

thanks for the info! hope i can find fresh berries here. dying to try the recipeeee!!!

If you are in either Bangkok or Pattaya try the Villa Market or other upscale grocery stores. They will usually have good imported strawberries, but be prepared - they will be quite expensive.