Thaiway

Coconut chicken soup

Rate this topic

Thaimo

Lvdkeyes, I think you wrote that you had taken a Thai cooking course. I'm not sure of the name of it, but many times I have had a chicken soup in Thai restaurants that I think is coconut based and I really like it. It looks similar to chicken soup in milk to me. Do you know what I am referring to? Do you have a recipe for it?

Here you are. It is one of my favorite Thai soups.

Thai Chicken Soup With Coconut Milk, "Tom Kha Gai"

16 fluid ounces soup broth (chicken stock)

4-5 kaffir lime leaves, shredded

4 or 5 2 inch pieces fresh lemongrass, bruised to release flavor

1 inch cube (or a bit more) galangal sliced thinly.

4 tablespoons fish sauce

2 tablespoons lime juice

4 oz chicken breast cut into smallish bite sized pieces

5 fluid ounces coconut milk

small red Thai chili peppers, slightly crushed (to taste)

coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish.

Note the number of red peppers is a personal choice. It can be as few as half a chili per diner, to

as many as 8-10 per diner, but the dish should retain a balance of flavors and not be over whelmend

by the chili peppers. I suggest about 8-12 chili peppers for this recipe.

Heat the stock, add the lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal, fish sauce, and lime juice. Stir thoroughly,

bring to a boil, and add the chicken and coconut milk, then the chile peppers. Bring back to the boil,

lower the heat to keep it simmering and cook for about 2 minutes (until the chicken is cooked through).

Here you are. It is one of my favorite Thai soups.

Yes, thank you. That's it! It's one of my favorites too. Now, thanks to you, I can try making my own. A good thing about Thai recipes is that all the ingredients are readily available at any Thai market.

Thai chicken soup with coconut milk is almost curried chicken without curry. Is it? I think I will enjoy it as much I do with the curried version. As long as it's freshly cooked and aromatic, and there's fish sauce in a dipping bowl with lime juice and chili pepper, and a lot of rice. That'll do it.