Thaiway

Forever Roman

Rate this topic

smoker

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested if anyone knows the conditions of Polanski's incarceration. What are the the housing conditions like ?

I would guess it is nothing like a Thai jail but still probably a no frill box. I imagine he misses his wife and young children terribly.

I would be interested if anyone knows the conditions of Polanski's incarceration. What are the the housing conditions like ?

It can't be too bad..."Roman Polanski is attempting to complete his film 'The Ghost' from his jail cell in Zurich," according to the LA Times. Here's a link to an article with a picture of the facility where he's being held. Unfortunately, all you can see is the outside of the building.

It can't be too bad..."Roman Polanski is attempting to complete his film 'The Ghost' from his jail cell in Zurich," according to the LA Times. Here's a link to an article with a picture of the facility where he's being held. Unfortunately, all you can see is the outside of the building.

The picture of the outside of his jail cell does not look to bad. Maybe since it is a holding facility, it is not as nasty as a real jail cell. Completing a film while in a prison cell should be interesting. Maybe he can continue with his film career while in LA?

The picture of the outside of his jail cell does not look to bad. Maybe since it is a holding facility, it is not as nasty as a real jail cell. Completing a film while in a prison cell should be interesting. Maybe he can continue with his film career while in LA?

I doubt he'll be spending much time in lock-up, even if he is extradited to the States.

Polanski's lawyers are still trying to have Roman released on bail. Instead of putting up his Swiss chalet as collateral, they propose cash. How much do you think it will be? I guess a million dollars. Here is the article.

PARIS – A French lawyer for director Roman Polanski, imprisoned in Switzerland, says a new bail offer will be filed Monday and it will be a "very, very significant" cash amount.

Swiss authorities rejected an offer Friday, considering the 76-year-old filmmaker awaiting a decision on extradition to the United States a high flight risk. They noted it was not a cash offer.

Herve Temime told France-Info radio Sunday the latest offer is in cash. He wouldn't say how much. He said Polanski would accept the extradition decision "whatever it is" and assured his client would never behave "like a fugitive."

Polanski, arrested Sept. 26, is wanted in the U.S. for having sex with a 13-year-old girl in Los Angeles in 1977. Polanski fled the U.S. before sentencing.

http://news.yahoo.co...france_polanski

PARIS – "very, very significant" cash amount.

..... offer is in cash. He wouldn't say how much. ............. is wanted in the U.S. for having sex with a 13-year-old girl in Los Angeles............. Polanski fled the U.S. before sentencing.

As a known scofflaw and bail jumper a significant cash amount is all his worth.Every bank account, all real property, all future royalties Plus everything he owns free and clear, or has an interest in.

I would imagine that the Justice and State departments are pressing the Swiss very hard behind the scenes to prevent him being released on bail at all. He's too much of a flight risk (obviously) while still outside the US. Once he's on American soil, it may be a different story. He'd probably have to surrender his passport and wouldn't be allowed to travel by commercial or private plane, but I bet he will get some kind of bail.

I would imagine that the Justice and State departments are pressing the Swiss very hard behind the scenes to prevent him being released on bail at all. He's too much of a flight risk (obviously) while still outside the US. Once he's on American soil, it may be a different story. He'd probably have to surrender his passport and wouldn't be allowed to travel by commercial or private plane, but I bet he will get some kind of bail.

Bail is used to insure that one appears for the legal proceedings and bail is not given when it's obvious the guy will flee the jurisdiction. He's already proven what he'll do and, if he's given bail in Switzerland, he's gone and he'll never leave France again. Once he's in the US, he most certainly won't be given bail until his proceedings are concluded (judges don't give bail to bail jumpers, period).

Once he's in the US, he most certainly won't be given bail until his proceedings are concluded (judges don't give bail to bail jumpers, period).

I don't think that's a concrete rule. I can think of a case in which a guy jumped bail on a drug trafficking charge, then got bail again when he was re-arrested. It was just a much, much higher bail, and he had a lot of restrictions, like an ankle bracelet and daily check-ins.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Roman will be out on $4.5 million bail. I would not think he will skip out on this one.

By FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press Writer GSTAAD, Switzerland – After two months in a Swiss jail, Roman Polanski prepared Thursday for the splendid captivity of his $1.6 million chalet in one of world's most luxurious winter resorts.Polanski will have views of snowcapped Alpine peaks, spacious rooms and the all the amenities of a town with a reputation for catering to the wishes of the rich and famous.

But he won't be able to go out the front door.

In this isolated bastion of wealth — which Elizabeth Taylor once called home and Michael Jackson visited — the 76-year-old director will be placed under house arrest as soon as he posts $4.5 million bail, surrenders his identity documents and is fitted for an electronic bracelet that allows authorities to monitor his whereabouts.

The Justice Ministry declined Thursday to appeal a court decision granting Polanski bail, and said it would release him from jail while it considers whether to extradite him to the United States for having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091126/ap_en_mo/eu_switzerland_polanski

Looks like Roman will be out on $4.5 million bail. I would not think he will skip out on this one.

Presuming he is released (it appears he'll be), I'll bet you 5 baht he's gone in a flash and, of course, he'll stay out of Switzerland for a while.

I'll bet you 5 baht he's gone in a flash

I am a gambling man, I will take that bet. I have no idea Roman's financial situation, but $4.5 million is a good chunck of change to give the Swiss judicial system.

Presuming he is released (it appears he'll be), I'll bet you 5 baht he's gone in a flash and, of course, he'll stay out of Switzerland for a while.

Bob, you would have to give me long odds with that bet. I agree with you. My guess he will go to France, with no chance of extradition. Maybe we will both be pleasantly surprised, and he will face sentencing in California.

I wonder how the amount of 4.5 million was decided for bail?

I imagine the amount of bail was set by negotiation between Roman's lawyers and the Swiss authorities. Lawyers probably thought a million enough and the government might have wanted 10 million. The $4.5 is probably a compromise.

Looks like Roman is home in his Swiss chalet.

After more than two months in a Swiss jail, a Reuters journalist saw Polanski in one of two cars which swept past some 200 reporters and into the garage of the film director's luxury home in the upmarket ski resort of Gstaad."Roman Polanski was today released from custody pending extradition and transferred to Gstaad, where he is under house arrest at his chalet," the Swiss government said in a statement.

http://news.yahoo.co..._nm/us_polanski

• 3 weeks later...

Roman's bid to have his case thrown out in California has been denied. Here is the latest.

A California appeals court on Monday rejected Roman Polanski's bid to have his sex case dismissed, but cited grave concerns over possible judicial and prosecutorial misconduct. The California 2nd District Court of Appeal announced it had denied the petition, with justices saying they are "deeply concerned" about the alleged misconduct.

The appeals justices are the second court to raise concerns about Polanski's treatment by the courts. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza said earlier this year there appeared to be "substantial misconduct," but that Polanski had to return to the United States to argue for the case be tossed out.

http://www.popeater.com/2009/12/21/polanskis-bid-for-freedom-dealt-a-blow/?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl2|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popeater.com%2F2009%2F12%2F21%2Fpolanskis-bid-for-freedom-dealt-a-blow%2F

I was wrong in that I expected ol' Roman to be back in France now. I'm glad he isn't and I do hope he gets to vacation in sunny California to put a proper end to his criminal conviction. Justice delayed is justice denied - and, in my view, that applies equally well to society, the victim, and the perpetrator.

I do remain totally mystified by some of the "what, it's no big deal" and "oh, he's such a great movie director and it was just sooooo long ago" reactions of the some of the Hollywood types and elites. On the other (and positive side in my view), I was heartened to hear 99% of the responses of the public and the newspaper editorials which thoroughly condemned those pampering views.

This may turn out to be moot, it appears as if Polanski may get credit for the 42 days under phsyciatric observation. This might be face saving for the California Judicial. However I don't think if the 42 days goes as time served for his guilty plee, it still does not address his flight from the original bail to avoid potential sentencing 30 plus years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Roman's victim seems to be working hard in helping him avoid prosecution. If Geimer wants Roman free, I am not sure why California's prosecutors are so quick to spend the taxpayer's money on this case.

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – The victim in Roman Polanski's 1978 child-sex case expressed support for the fugitive filmmaker's request to be sentenced in absentia, court filings revealed.

An attorney for Samantha Geimer, who was 13 when Polanski allegedly plied her with drugs and alcohol before having unlawful sex with her in 1977, also urged prosecutors to withdraw a request for the director's extradition.

Polanski, 76, was arrested in September in Switzerland, where he is under house arrest pending extradition to the United States.

Yet Geimer's attorney Lawrence Silver said in court filings that prosecutors had failed to notify his client before seeking Polanski's extradition, which he said "violated" California's constitution.

Geimer also asked Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza to dismiss the case "on the basis of judicial and prosecutorial corruption" or to sentence Polanski "in absentia."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100122/en_afp/entertainmentusfrancefilmpolanski