2¾ cups bread flour

1 cup Rye flour

2 tablespoons butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 teaspoons Caraway seed

1½ teaspoons salt

1½ teaspoons yeast

1½ cups chopped onion

If you bake it in an oven, glaze it with raw egg white before you bake it.

This also works well in a bread machine. Select BASIC setting and LIGHT CRUST. Add the Caraway seed and the onions after the first kneading cycle is complete or according to your machine's manual.

• 2 weeks later...

Although this sounds great, I always worry about my weight when it comes to eating bread. Can I assume this is good for a healthy diet? I need to watch my calorie intake but would certainly appreciate any advice (or a recipe) for baking "low-calorie" bread? Any such recipe?

• 2 weeks later...

What can I substitute for the rye flour and caraway seeds. I think I can bake breads, not just eat them. just love 'em.

What else can you bake Thaimo?

I suppose you could get away with eliminating the caraway seeds, but I don't know how I could make rye bread without rye flour. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to find the rye flour and caraway seeds in any god grocery store.

I have a bread machine. The machine came with a booklet that contains good recipes and if you do a Google search for either bread recipes or bread machine recipes, hundreds come up that people have submitted.

I have never tried making bread without the bread machine. I would suggest asking lvdkeyes how to make bread from scratch.

I had a bread machine in the past. I didn't bring it with me to Thailand because of the difference in voltage. I make bread once a week on average. The simplest, yet very good quality bread that I make is the following:

White Yeast Bread

Ingredients

• 2 tsp caster sugar

• 425 ml warm water

• 2.5 tsp dried Yeast, or 20g fresh yeast

• 750g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting

• 2 tsp Salt

• 40g Butter, or 4 tbsp olive oil

• vegetable oil, for greasing

• 1 Egg, beaten

• poppy or Sesame seeds, for the top of the loaf (optional)

Method

1. In a small bowl, mix the sugar with 150ml of the warm water and yeast and let stand in a warm place for five minutes, or until frothy. If using fast-acting yeast, there is no need to let the mixture stand.

2. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter and make a well in the center. (If using olive oil instead of butter, pour the olive oil into the remaining water.) Pour in the yeast mixture and most of the remaining water (and the olive oil, if using). Mix to a loose dough, adding the remaining water if needed, plus extra if necessary.

3. Knead for about ten minutes or until the dough is smooth and springy to the touch. (If kneading in an electric food mixer with a dough hook, five minutes is usually long enough.) Put the dough in a large oiled bowl. Cover the top tightly with cling film and place somewhere warm to rise until doubled in size. This may take up to two or even three hours.

4. Preheat the oven to 220C.

5. When the dough has more than doubled in size, knock back and knead again for 2–3 minutes. Leave to relax for ten minutes before you begin to shape the bread.

6. Shape the bread into loaves or rolls, transfer to a baking tray and cover with a clean tea towel. Allow to rise again in a warm place for 20–30 minutes, until the shaped dough has again doubled in size. When fully raised, it should leave a dent when you gently press the dough with your finger.

7. Gently (as the bread is full of air at this point and therefore very fragile) brush with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds (if using), or dust lightly with flour for a rustic-looking loaf.

8. Bake in the oven for 10–15 minutes for rolls or 30–45 minutes for a loaf, depending on its size. Turn the heat down to 200C after 15 minutes for the remaining cooking time. When cooked, the bread should sound hollow when tapped on the base. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Thaimo. Yeah that was silly - one can't bake rye bread without rye flour. Well, I have not been exposed to that kind of flour yet simply because it cannot be found here. But I'll keep looking.

I bake the old fashioned way, and I'll try lvdkeyes' white yeast bread recipe.

• 2 weeks later...